Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
horn problem
ive had my berlingo from new and ive always had trouble with horn not working, at the moment it works when the engine is off but wont sound when its running, weird... Angry Huh Huh
Its more than likely the earth contact for the horn push on the steering wheel under the airbag. Its a crap fitting, there are quite a few threads on her about it and an how to. Have a read of this http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-36...light=horn
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(05-10-2015, 06:35 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Its more than likely the earth contact for the horn push on the steering wheel under the airbag. Its a crap fitting, there are quite a few threads on her about it  and an how to. Have a read of this http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-36...light=horn

thanks tomcat ill check that out
To get the airbag off turn off the ignition and wait ten minutes until the BSI has shut down. Remove the steering column shroud to get better access. If you then feel and look at the back of the steering wheel you will see 3 holes. You need a small flat blade screw driver to go in the hole and you will feel a spring, gently lever the spring while pulling up that part of the airbag. Move on to the next spring until the airbag comes away but be careful not to strain the ribbon cable to it. Now you have access to the earth connection. Its not as difficult as it sounds just take your time and don't force anything. If you have an Haynes manual there are photos in there to help.
If you have weird stuff happening with the electrics re-set the BSI unit, that often sorts things out, Fixed my horn when it stopped working. There should be lots of posts on here to explain how to do it. It is unlikely to be the horn button if it works when the engine is off.
Ive done this mod on both my berlingos when the horn didn't work even when the engine is off and its worked perfectly ever since.
(06-10-2015, 07:17 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Ive  done this mod on both my berlingos when the horn didn't work even when the engine is off and its worked perfectly ever since.

is there any chance I could set the airbag off in my face by accident only a fitter told me to disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes before I start it...
Yes you can do that to be on the safe side.
Just follow the advice ...
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
If the horn works with the engine off how can it be the horn push? I know bad earths can cause some strange faults, but the horn working under some circumstances does tend to suggest the horn push works. You have to re-set the BSI if the battery has been disconnected so why don't you try that first?