Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kids car seat - HELP urgently needed!
Hi there, i have just put a (non-refundable) deposit down on a used 2006 Berlingo Multispace.  I was looking for a vehicle that would fit 3 kids aged 0-4 (so one baby seat, one toddler seat, and one high back booster seat) and had researched online and seen multiple references to the Berlingo Multispace being able to fit them.

When i test drove the car it was raining, i had a screaming toddler and I'm heavily pregnant, so was only able to try out one toddler seat and move it round to get an idea of seat size.  I assumed it would be fine because of the online research i'd done.

Only later did I realise that it is only the 2008+ models that have 3 separate back seats that all the forums raved about.

My question is: does anyone know whether the 2006 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.4 is able to accommodate 3 child car seats safely?

I have looked and looked online and cannot find a definitive answer.  I am due to pick up the car this week, and want to know if i've wasted my money or not.

Please please if anyone can help then I would be really really grateful.

Ess
The older model has 3 seatbelts across the back seating so that's all you need to fit the 3 child seats. It matters not whether rear seats are individual or bench type so car will meet your requirements.
The car has 3 sets of 3 point seat belts across the back seat so therefore can be fitted with 3 child seats. It's that simple.
(13-09-2016, 12:52 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  The car has 3 sets of  3 point seat belts across the back seat so therefore can be fitted with 3 child seats. It's that simple.

Thanks for the reply, my question was more to do with whether the sheer bulk of the three particular sized/group car seats I have physically would fit and whether anybody has specifically managed to find the specific types go for, but thanks for your help.
(13-09-2016, 12:44 PM)doofer Wrote:  You've got that many variables there that the only answer is probably to take all the seats to the dealer and try fitting them

The old model has probably got a wider back seat than many other cars, but the 2008-on model has a wider body than the previous versions, so the back seat in a 2006 model will be narrower than the newer model.  Whether this means it wouldn't be suitable for your needs is impossible to say without looking and trying it.

I also don't know whether the previous version has ISOFIX points, or if it has two or three sets, if you were intending to use them.

Thank you doofer you've made me feel a bit better! I intended to fit all the seats but it was not happening (rain/unhappy child) so I foolishly relied on my previous flawed  Internet research!  Hopefully it has an extra few inches on the back seat than my current car (which definitely do not fit the particular configuration I need)...

There is the option of a slimmer booster but I've tried lots in my car to no avail.

Isofix isn't a priority for us, plus the berlingo has underfloor storage boxes which make the support leg on most isifix seats unapproved.

Thanks again, I feel a little calmer about the whole thing now!
Berlingo seats are of reasonable width, plenty of room for 3 passengers across so the child seats will fit ok. My previous Berlingo was the older type & 3 large adults fitted in the back comfortably.
I've had 3 kids in child seats in the back of my 04 plate one. No problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(13-09-2016, 04:52 PM)PGrowler73 Wrote:  I've had 3 kids in child seats in the back of my 04 plate one. No problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thank you very much, this is what I was hoping to hear! I hope I'm as fortunate as you!
(13-09-2016, 12:52 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  The car has 3 sets of  3 point seat belts across the back seat so therefore can be fitted with 3 child seats. It's that simple.

Its really not that simple, the quashqai has 3 seat belts, but there is no way on gods earth you could fit 3 full size car seats in the back, trust me i tried, the middle seat is much narrower than the outer seats. 
That said we have the same 3 seats fitted in a 60-40 split rear of a 2012 multispace with no problems.
2012 Berlingo Multispace VTR 1.6HDI White
Most cars are fitted with what is essentially 2 and a half full seats in the rear - the main reason we bought the C4 Picasso was it had three full seats which meant we could fit three child seats in the back

However if one of those seats is a booster seat without the back - 2 and a half seats should work, it did in our Mk2 Focus
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack