Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
knocking on switching engine on/off
Hello, wonder if anybody can help, i got my 2.0l desire 05 reg in November last year and its been absolutely brilliant, its only got 36k on the clokck and generally runs really well.

the problem being over the last week or so it has started to knock on starting up or switching of, not everytime but most. when i looked online somewhere suggested the engine cover and i've checked and it does seem that the cover is loose.

however this evening it was worse so i watched with the bonnet open whilst my daughter switched off the engine and there seemed to be a lot more movement than i'd expect.

i'm admittedly not very good with engines etc.

i got three months warranty with the car which i bought from a garage quite a distance from home. the warranty runs out this sunday. does anybody have any thoughts as to

a) what is causing this
b) is it likely to get worse

i'm off work tomorrow and considering taking it to the garage.

thanks in advance.
Try tightening the engine mounting bolts! Happened to me a while back. Took it to the local Indy Citroen repairer
who popped it on the lift and undid and re-tightened the lot. He said that it was the one on the left rear as you
look from the front of the car. The bill?? £8!! Go to the main stealer and it'll be closer to £108!
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Cheers for that, i think i'm going to take it over to the garage i usually use which is nearer and they are really good. i've checked the warranty and it says that as long as the garage contact them (warranty provider) first then i don't have to go back to the dealer.
As O.J. says.

Had similar symptoms myself and it turned out to be the rear mount .
Took it back to garage i got it from and turned out to be the fixings for the enginge cover, so all sorted. thank you everyone.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to drahcir74 for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers, ron
(08-02-2013, 12:48 PM)drahcir74 Wrote:  Took it back to garage i got it from and turned out to be the fixings for the enginge cover, so all sorted. thank you everyone.
After a few more miles you may find the engine cover mounts fail. These are about 3 inch long studs which are glued to bolts on the top of the engine. When they go, the dipstick rides up with the vibrations. I have taken the cover off completely.
(24-01-2013, 07:25 PM)drahcir74 Wrote:  Hello, wonder if anybody can help, i got my 2.0l desire 05 reg in November last year and its been absolutely brilliant, its only got 36k on the clokck and generally runs really well.

the problem being over the last week or so it has started to knock on starting up or switching of, not everytime but most. when i looked online somewhere suggested the engine cover and i've checked and it does seem that the cover is loose.

however this evening it was worse so i watched with the bonnet open whilst my daughter switched off the engine and there seemed to be a lot more movement than i'd expect.

i'm admittedly not very good with engines etc.

i got three months warranty with the car which i bought from a garage quite a distance from home. the warranty runs out this sunday. does anybody have any thoughts as to

a) what is causing this
b) is it likely to get worse

i'm off work tomorrow and considering taking it to the garage.

thanks in advance.

My 04 plate HDi was doing this. It was the rear lower engine mounting. There is a rubber donut assembly which bolts on to the engine, and onto the body at the rear. The bush where it attaches to the body had failed - not immediately obvious from looking. We had to lever it with a crowbar, then start the engine - noise disappeared. The Donut/bush assembly is about £48 from the dealer, though if your mechanic has a press, the bush can be bought for £16 and it's easy to press out the old one, and press in a new one - this is what we did. All tight, noise gone.

Don't be too concerned about there appearing to be a lot of underbonnet movement. There's a fair amount of torque, even at idle on these motors, and the rubber mountings are relatively soft, so on startup and switch-off, they do appear to move about a bit. They don't really though.