Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
lack of revs at top end
Hi - I have a 2007 Berlingo 1.6hdi with 120,000 miles on it. She pulls fine around town (0 to 55mph) but when on the motorway (60 - 70mph) in 4th and 5th gear the revs just die. She wont accelerate at all at the top end and on an incline she will actually start losing revs. I dont think its the clutch as the its the revs that simply arent there. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Hi there have you checked that your car mat aint stopping the pedal going fully down or the throttle cable has full travel. Next I would be looking at the fuel filter does it need changing and the air filter.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
One thing to look at is the turbo not putting enough boost in you could have a leak under pressure or the turbo could be on the way out how much smoke do you get when this happen's is it black blue white or normal the other thing is the EGR not working properly
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Air and fuel filters replaced in the summer when it had diesel injector problems. Theres no smoke , whats the EGR? It seems to be quite intermitent, this afternoon i gave it a good thrashing on the A1 and it was fine ???
(16-12-2014, 10:10 PM)mrgreencar Wrote:  Air and fuel filters replaced in the summer when it had diesel injector problems. Theres no smoke , whats the EGR? It seems to be quite intermitent, this afternoon i gave it a good thrashing on the A1 and it was fine ???
EGR exhaust gas recirculation  it's a valve that recirculate's some of the exhaust gas back in to the inlet manifold they clog up and don't work properly giving a good thrashing every now and then help's clean it out what you need to do is put some miller's in the fuel tank to help keep it clean work her hard when you can at least once a month to keep it clean if you don't you will have to put a new EGR on and it's a pain in the butt to do or have a map to delete it at your own risk got to say that and it will pass an mot there's a man on here call lighty can do it pm him and he will tell you all about it and give you a price or look local in your area for a garage that do remaps HTH 
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Thanks I'll try adding the Millars
2 months on and I've finally got to the bottom of the problem when the engine warning light came on - and lots of blue smoke coming out the back. Diagnostics showed it was indeed a stuck ESG valve. 
The plan suggested by the garage is to bypass the valve altogether - blank off the valve and 're-map' the electronics. No ESG valve but no further problems either!
Does this sound like a good idea?
sorry - I say ESG valve - what i mean is EGR valve!
Yes you can blank off the EGR valve - many do. If they are going to remap the vehicle this should be a good modification.

At the moment it is classed as engine tampering and big brother does not like you doing it although you should be fine at MOT and that is all that matters really.
I don't think it's a good idea to map the EGR out . A) it was designed that way. B) It's lasted 120,000 miles so far with one c) it's now illegal to have a non - functioning one and an MOT fail if they work it out, and d) It's there to keep emissions down. I'd rather people kept their vehicles in proper working order and didn't pollute unnecessarily thanks very much. I make the effort to, why shouldn't everyone else?

Oh, and a good remap will cost you nearly double what replacing or cleaning the EGR out will. Will you have the car in another 120,000 miles or 7 years?...

I have no time for people who's only suggestion of a fix to others is to make their vehicle illegal.

I have no issue with remapping for power or economy gains, but making a vehicle illegal and possibly more polluting instead of fixing it properly is a poor way out.
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikep1973 for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers