Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
longitudinal roof bars - what ar they for?
Are longitudinal roofbars useful for anything, or just for show? needed to carrry a ladder recently - thought about strapping it on sideways and possibly deecapitating a few pedestrians, but ended up tying 2 planks across the roof bars as annoyingly, none of my spare bars from previous cars are long enough.
also wondered how easy they are to remove as getting a ferry later this year, and just about on the height limit. cant seee any obvvious screws to take out?
I use mine for mounting a set of lateral roof bars for carrying things like a ladder, lumber, etc.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

In the toolkit there should be an allen key to unscrew the bars, you then can re position them to the lateral position.
But a word of warning, if your motor is the modutop version, do not put to heavy a load on them.
If your Berlingo overturns in the snow,you can sit on top and use the car as a sledge.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MudFT for this post:
  • PugPartnerDriver
Actual height with longitudinal roof bars is just under 1.85mtres. I've never had any trouble with ferries which sometimes quote a 1.8 limit so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going on Eurotunnel which has limit of 1.85 on double deck fold your aerial as flat as possible but you will fit ok or you can go on single deck carriage for no extra cost. I would leave bars in place, if you try to remove them you might damage paint & devalue car.

If you google you will find there are plenty of suppliers of cross bars specific to Berlingo roof rails, these lock on crossways to alow you to carry ladders etc, you can order them from Halfords or ebay suppliers do them. It is only the modutop bars that can be moved accross the roof. My longitudinal bars certainly can't be moved easily.
thanks for the advice. Will stop worrying about height on ferries, and just make sure I am heavily laden with flat(ish) tyres! This should not be a problem as my wife is already excitedly planning how many pairs of shoes she can pack in a berlingo .I am particularly looking forward to sledging on my upside down car as advised by MudFT, but must remember to have the windows open to stick my leg out for steering purposes (I dont suppose Citroen have a rudder mechanism as an extra...?).
(25-03-2013, 08:09 PM)Fatlad Wrote:  thanks for the advice. Will stop worrying about height on ferries, and just make sure I am heavily laden with flat(ish) tyres! This should not be a problem as my wife is already excitedly planning how many pairs of shoes she can pack in a berlingo .I am particularly looking forward to sledging on my upside down car as advised by MudFT, but must remember to have the windows open to stick my leg out for steering purposes (I dont suppose Citroen have a rudder mechanism as an extra...?).

We came over to France on Monday. Not a word was said about exceeding 1.83metres.