Thread Rating:
  • 26 Vote(s) - 2.08 Average
oil and filter change
I recently succeeded in changing the oil and filter on my 2005 petrol 1.6 Berlingo. The filter is the most difficult part IMHO, as I had never seen a cartridge filter before. It's on the front of the engine covered with a round plastic cover with a "nut" on top of the lid. I believe that with a 27mm socket, you can unscrew it. As I didn't have the socket, and I'm not sure it's 27mm, I used a filter wrench, the type with a metal band. It worked fine, but it's slow, as you can only do less than a half-turn each time you tighten the wrench. Also, with a hot engine, you can burn your knuckles, forearm, elbow on the radiator. (Fireproof sleeve??). A rag around the part catches any oil escaping, as you lift off the top with the cartridge still in it. Removing the cartridge is easy, pull and turn at the same time, then clean it up and put in the new one, and replace the O ring (which comes with the new cartridge). There is still dirty oil in the lower part of the filter unit. I soaked this up with kitchen paper, but I'm sure there's a fancy syringe for the job.
Removing the sump bung is easy. A socket (23mm?) will turn the nut, but there is also a square depression in the middle, for an 8mm square key. (In France, they sell these, with a bigger size on the other end, as a solution for the bungs on all French cars. With a drip basin and a filter wrench, the cost is 5 euro!). I had one of these since my Renault Scenic days, and it worked.
It took about 3 and a half litres to fill up.
Elsewhere on this forum, there is a description of how to reset the service indicator, which worked for me.
Thanks for your help.
Glad it worked out. Yes, a socket is a lot easier to use when removing the oil filter housing. I torque mine to the specified 25nm when reinstalling the cap. I had a devil of a time getting the filter element off the cap the first time but finally got it. Second time will be a lot easier and faster for sure.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

(14-08-2011, 01:37 PM)3rensho Wrote:  Glad it worked out. Yes, a socket is a lot easier to use when removing the oil filter housing. I torque mine to the specified 25nm when reinstalling the cap. I had a devil of a time getting the filter element off the cap the first time but finally got it. Second time will be a lot easier and faster for sure.

here's a pic:
[Image: 35mnrld.jpg]

I have a MK3 Turbo diesel, 90HP, Berlingo. Can you advise how much oil I need to put in as the owners hand book does not tell me anything. Also is the drain bung easy to get to or do I have to remove the plate under the engine? Many thanks. Islander
Hi folks I have drained the old oil and am trying to get the filter cap off my 1.4 petrol mk2 and it really does not want to shift. I can see where its been taken off before but all i have is grips and the centre of the moulded plastic 'nut' on top is starting to crack a little. Im just scared that if i put much more force into it the whole thing will split.

Any advice?

Would it be ok just to change the oil and do the filter another day when i can get an set of filter grips? or a socket?

Job Done --> Also I grabbed a new petrol filter but have no idea where it is I've looked everywhere. <-- Job Done

The filter housing is normally a 27mm socket. I'd get one and not risk damaging the casing.

The fuel filter is normally under the car near the tank.
(05-01-2012, 02:52 PM)Fruitbat Wrote:  plastic 'nut' on top is starting to crack a little. Im just scared that if i put much more force into it the whole thing will split.

Don't afraid. If it's cracks - buy new one. It costs not so much.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • ron
The fuel filter fits into a moulded recess on the underside of the fuel tank on the offside. Get the correct sized socket for the oil filter cover. If its already cracked get a replacement before you remove it.
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
Cheers for all the replies, I got a 27mm socket today and tried that but it still wont budge, the socket just twists on the plastic nut and rides up.

Not sure what to try next really. Garage were last ppl to touch it so should have torqued it, Im a bit worried that if i do get it off now the oils going to flood out as i had to fill it back up to go to work today and go buy the socket. this cheap service is nearly costing me the same as local garage charge which is only £80. im upto about £50 in bits and my time Sad
1. Buy new plastic cap, new filter kit and two rubber O-seals for housing.
2. Remove filter's housing together with a cap. Don't forget about wires connected to oil pressure sensor.
3. Break plastic cap to pieces.
4. Remove all stuff from within and clean it (but please do not throw away internal spring mechanism Smile ).
5. Install housing on a block with new O-seals.
6. Place filter element and new O-ring on plastic cap.
7. Lubricate a little bit new O-ring on plastic cap and tight it with appropriative torque.
8. That's all Smile

PS It's easy to do it than to describe.

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • Jim7, Ol'Jeffers