Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
roof racks and bars
I recently purchased some vanguard roofbars which were advertised as being suitable for a Berlingo and included the year of my cars reg (06) It dod not occur to me that the van was different from the car and consequently the bars are completely unsuitable. I don't know where to start now to find the correct bars for my Berlingo multispace Forte 06. Also, does anyone want some Vanguard bars for a Berlingo van?!
The mounting points should be the same for van and car.
The cars are often fitted with rails which use the mountings- these would need to be removed first.
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
(02-10-2012, 01:02 PM)evdama Wrote:  The mounting points should be the same for van and car.
The cars are often fitted with rails which use the mountings- these would need to be removed first.

We have three mountin points which are just welded metal rectangles which the bars are apparently supposed to slot underneath from the outside and then presumably the roofbras have a mechanism to tighten. The bars we have bought have two bolt holes which bear no relation to our fittings and only one of two parts fit under the roof mounting. I think the van that the previous owner had was not the same style as our car. Thanks anyway.
Evdama is right. The fixed mounting points are exactly the same on both the van and the Multispace. I would think that you are either missing the foot-pack (the bit that connects the bars to the roof mounting points) or you have the wrong bars.

Could you post a photo and we might be able to help?
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

(02-10-2012, 04:09 PM)Chris Wrote:  Evdama is right. The fixed mounting points are exactly the same on both the van and the Multispace. I would think that you are either missing the foot-pack (the bit that connects the bars to the roof mounting points) or you have the wrong bars.

Could you post a photo and we might be able to help?

The items you have been sold are from a MK3
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
I have a set of Thule roof bars I used with my 02 Peugeot Partner Van without a problem.The securing lugs on my 03 Multispace Forte are the same.Fitting the front bar was no problem,but with the rear bar I had trouble getting it to fit.Eventually I got it secured properly but unfortunatly for some unknown reason a couple of times it suddenly came loose,the second time on saturday I had to leave my ladders in Edinburgh because it came away when when securing the straps and I dident have the tightening key.:brickwall:
I dont know whether the problem is the roof mountings or the bar itself but Ive stopped using it for now in case it comes away on the road.:eek:
From the VanGuard site:
Quote:If both rear windows/window recesses of the van are almost the same size and there are slots in the roof bar for the roof fixings, then it’s the original shape and VG96 brackets.
If both rear windows/window recesses of the van are completely different sizes and there are threaded inserts in the roof, then it’s the facelift shape and VG271 brackets.
So if you have model number VG96, they should fit an '06 van, if you've got VG271 they're for a (08 onwards). When the Mk3 first came out, they sold the Mk2 as the Berlingo First. I'd be on the phone to them for advice and an exchange if you've got the wrong one. That is unless you got them off ebay.

Les, roof racks coming off at speed is not a nice. I had an ancient one on my 2nd car when we moved house, taking a chest of drawers on it. At about 60mph on the motorway past Nottingham I heard a rattle and planned to pull in a Trowell services a mile further on to check things out. Then I saw our chest of drawers sliding down the inside lane behind the car. Thankfully it was quiet and it slid over to the hard shoulder. The brackets & chest of drawers were still securely attached to the roof rack, but it had ripped the gutters off the car!
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2