Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sleeping space inside van
Hi all newbie here! ive looked at internal dimensions of the berlingo and also seen many of you guys turning them into camper vans, im looking at buying a van and want to be able to sleep in it when i go out doing night photography or camping so my questions would be is there enough room for a 6'2 person to sleep or should i be looking at something longer like a dispatch or merc vito.

now i know im 6'2 but no one sleeps dead straight and i just spent the weekend sleeping on my brothers 2 seater sofa with legs hanging of end !!! so used to a bit of restriction.

thanks in advance
Ali
I'm 6' tall and can lay down quite comfortably in the back of my longer bodied "L2" Berlingo with room to spare. My Nephew who is 6' 2" says that he can lie down in the back of his L2 Berlingo. He was thinking of using his van in the same way you are. He tells me that some campsite owners take a dim view of people sleeping in the back of ordinary vans (why, I don't know), but you can buy a tent for £10 now (seen them in Halfords), which you could erect next to your van, while you ACTUALLY sleep overnight in your van.
(28-05-2015, 09:52 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I'm 6' tall and can lay down quite comfortably in the back of my longer bodied "L2" Berlingo with room to spare. My Nephew who is 6' 2" says that he can lie down in the back of his L2 Berlingo. He was thinking of using his van in the same way you are. He tells me that some campsite owners take a dim view of people sleeping in the back of ordinary vans (why, I don't know), but you can buy a tent for £10 now (seen them in Halfords), which you could erect next to your van, while you ACTUALLY sleep overnight in your van.

i did see that the newer L2 was longer, but from searching around it seems its only about 30cm longer so im not to worried if i cant get an L2 and go for older model which is shorter. odd that they frown on camping in "ordinary vans" but like u say get a tent, afterall i shall need somewhere to park my bike!!

thanks for reply btw

ali
(28-05-2015, 10:06 PM)adbp Wrote:  
(28-05-2015, 09:52 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I'm 6' tall and can lay down quite comfortably in the back of my longer bodied "L2" Berlingo with room to spare. My Nephew who is 6' 2" says that he can lie down in the back of his L2 Berlingo. He was thinking of using his van in the same way you are. He tells me that some campsite owners take a dim view of people sleeping in the back of ordinary vans (why, I don't know), but you can buy a tent for £10 now (seen them in Halfords), which you could erect next to your van, while you ACTUALLY sleep overnight in your van.

i did see that the newer L2 was longer, but from searching around it seems its only about 30cm longer so im not to worried if i cant get an L2 and go for older model which is shorter. odd that they frown on camping in "ordinary vans" but like u say get a tent, afterall i shall need somewhere to park my bike!!

thanks for reply btw

ali

Hi Ali and welcome. The L2 is exactly 20cm longer than the 'normal' van. The loadbed of my L2 is 193cm, tho' with the passenger seat folded flat, I can carry items slightly longer than 3 metres. Your biggest problem in finding a secondhand L2 is that; most are "crewvan" versions with 3 seats and a footwell behind the front seats, or else they might be ex-RSPCA (they have a lot of them), and it will have been pee'd in by numerous cats and dogs! Smile
With the front passenger seat folded on my 01 berlingo van I can put a camp bed in with the front legs resting on a board on the seat base. I think the bed is about 2 metres long, it gives me plenty of room
thanks doofer, thanks brodfather,thanks courier jim, with the answers by all of you helpful guys i think there will be enough space for what im looking at doing, i will have to look for an older model (first) as this will be within my budget but the L2 sounds perfect ..sighs...

now time to start looking for a van!

thanks Ali
A few years back I used to kip in the back of my C15,sharing space with a German Shepherd dog.I'm 6ft & slept diagonally.BTW a GSD is a good intruder alarm as well as good company.We did several trips to Germany & it was OK.I always parked in a M way services so had a bog & simple cat lick washing to hand.I used a self inflating mattress.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(29-05-2015, 09:04 AM)doofer Wrote:  I have tried lying down in the back of my multispace with the rear seats removed.  I'm exactly 6'2" as it happens.

With the front seats adjusted for me driving I can't get my legs straight lying in the back.  I didn't try shoving the front seats forward, but I'm sure it would give the extra little bit needed to stretch out.  I'll try it later, as the seats are still out but it's not here at the moment.

I too have got very interested in the idea of an economy camper after trying out lying in the back - they're very big and useful.  The windows are an issue with the multispace, but it should be simple to solve.  On the other hand you do get nice carpet, trim, insulation all round and soundproofing.

In the multispace just get limo privacy screening done and problem solved , cost me £140 and it looks ace !
I have a M59 Berlingo with the folding front passenger seat, I have made a removable platform that is at the same height as the top of the wheel arches which is a little less than half the width of the van. I have a kid's inflatable mattress that is 5'2" long and is just right for the length of the load bed. This results in the top of the mattress being the same height as the folded seat back. I put a blackout curtain across the back of the cab and poke my feet under it. It is worth blocking out as much light as you can so you don't wake up when the sun comes up. (about 4:30 at the moment!) I'm 6' tall and have no problems, it is much more comfortable than putting a mattress directly on the floor as the wheel arches do intrude quite a lot. It is also worth considering that there is not a lot of insulation in the back of a Berlingo, if you are going to kip in it later in the year. I put fibreglass insulation behind the ply lining on mine.
Get a foam sofa bed and put it in the back for one off sleep outs. Not a bad price and might get you to make something more practical.
So where does this bit go then ?