Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
speedometer?would this work"
my speedometer is not working i am in the process of searching for a second hand one ect it may be a while till i sort out this may sound stupid but please allow me some lee way for a old fart like me but would a bycycle wireless speedometer work on temporay basis the on with the magnet that goes on wheel.i would appreciate any help on this thanks.
I would have thought that keeping the sender attached could be a problem. Might be easier to buy a cheap/second hand sat nav as these usually display speed and should be accurate
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Confusedalut:
(11-02-2012, 11:34 AM)boycie21 Wrote:  my speedometer is not working i am in the process of searching for a second hand one ect it may be a while till i sort out this may sound stupid but please allow me some lee way for a old fart like me but would a bycycle wireless speedometer work on temporay basis the on with the magnet that goes on wheel.i would appreciate any help on this thanks.

Dont know if the magnet would stay on the wheel ?
I had a part time job once driving an old ford tranny with no speedo , I picked a "speed camera detection system" !!! from a local supermarket which was selling them cheap £25.00 I think . It plugged into the cigar lighter socket and told me where the speed cameras were, didnt bother with that side of it as the traConfusedalut:nny wouldnt do anything over 50. It gave me the speed the sat nav. system thought I was doing . It stuck on the dash with a magnet and worked quite well. about 2"x3" or what ever in millimeters.
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo 
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
thanks chris and broadfather for quick reply i never thought about sat nav this forom is great the cluster unit for my berli 53 plate hdi is expensive new so i have to scout about for second hand one which may take a while anyway thanks again lads.
Is it not illegal to drive a car with a broken speedo,which can incur a fine ? I thought the only exception was if the speedo broke during a journey when you are stopped by Police and you inform them that you intended to repair it before starting your next journey.Sorry for being pessimistic but....just make sure.:S
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
(11-02-2012, 01:05 PM)taxi Wrote:  Is it not illegal to drive a car with a broken speedo,which can incur a fine ? I thought the only exception was if the speedo broke during a journey when you are stopped by Police and you inform them that you intended to repair it before starting your next journey.Sorry for being pessimistic but....just make sure.:S

Yes, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without a means of speed measurement, thats why I bought a device that would measure speed.
Confusedalut:
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/faq-answer?id=Q601
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
Not sure if mentioned above, but a sat nav will give you a rough speed for the time being.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Yeah, Philip thats what I thought-it has to be a Speedometer fitted to vehicle. I just wanted to help in case there was any chance that anyone could be penalised for only using other means of measuring speed of vehicle.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
(11-02-2012, 01:05 PM)taxi Wrote:  Is it not illegal to drive a car with a broken speedo,which can incur a fine ? I thought the only exception was if the speedo broke during a journey when you are stopped by Police and you inform them that you intended to repair it before starting your next journey.Sorry for being pessimistic but....just make sure.:S

Mine has worked on and off for around 2 years, and passed 2 Mot's!

On one is wasn't working at all!
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.