Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Road Trip
So just had my first proper outing in my Berlingo, which up to last weekend had just been used around the local area.

On Friday I drove from Peterborough to Wiltshire, to see a friend. Later that day, I drove to Reading to pick up a large BBQ Smoker, then on to Wokingham to visit friends for the weekend. Drove home to Peterborough Monday morning, then after lunch, hit the road again to deliver the BBQ Smoker to other friends an hour north in rural Lincolnshire, before returning home in the early evening.

So a good mixture of motorway and rural driving, half of it fairly laden down in the back. Plus my first chance to really try out the cruise control/speed limiter.

Was very pleased with the car's performance. Having dropped down from a 2 litre petrol Scenic to a 1.6 litre deisel Berlingo, I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't have to change my driving style at all.

I didn't find the cruise control that useful, as the motorways were mostly congested, so speeds were changing all the time. For one stretch of the M4, it was fun. However, I loved the speed limiter, as it left me in full control, without the need to worry about my top speed. I think I am going to probably use that far more than cruise control.

Was amused that even with a heavily loaded car, I was still doing better mpg than my old Scenic.

All in all, the Berlingo is a hit.
Well that sounds like a fun few days. It is nice to get them out on the road. Just curious, what type of BBQ Smoker did you pick up and deliver? I'm into Texas BBQ myself, pulled pork, brisket, etc.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

Pulled pork, brisket.... me too.

It was a Traeger Lil' Tex pellet smoker. I already have one (alongside a Weber Kettle and ceramic grill), and my friend was envious of it. Then I saw one on eBay - working but well-used and in need of a little attention; and furthermore only 15 minutes from friends that I had planned to visit soon.

Hence the road trip was planned. I got to finally christen the Berlingo, plus visit 3 groups of good friends and make an aquaintence (turned out the eBay seller was someone I had chatted to on BBQ forums!)

My Lincolnshire friends started putting together the Lil' Tex almost the moment I arrived (we had taken it apart for easy loading into the car) and were making a shopping list for meat. Guess the de-rust and repaint will wait for another day!

It'll be fun having local friends with the same kit as me, as we can swap stories, hints and modifications.
Those Traeger pellet poopers are really popular and highly regarded in the US. Would love to get one but, £££ :eek:. I've got a Bradley electric smoker which I really like and a couple of Webers. I hadn't trolled for any UK smoking sites. Am a member of several German ones and the Bradley Canadian forum. Will have to have a look.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

There is a fairly popular UK BBQ/Smoking website, but pellet poopers are under-represented there. As a result, I hang out more on the US website pelletheads.com.

The one I just picked up was only 200 pounds, which I thought was a bit of a bargain.