Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
topping up gearoil
does anybody no how to top up gearoil on mk2 1.6 hdi ?
On the end of the gear box on the vertical face nearest the inner wing. (I think.)
Has anybody any more info on this as I want to change the gear oil in my Mk2 1.6 Hdi.

Is the filler and drain plug both on this vertical face mentioned above and is it only a matter of draining out of one and filling the oil up to the level of the other??

Plus what sort of oil is recommended and if it is only a top up I was doing can this be done easily (does these oils easily mix) or should I just go for the full change??

Iâ€m asking this as I suspect that gear oil changes might be the kind of thing that often get overlooked. Or indeed what is the recommended interval for gear oil changes??

A lot of questions, I know…
Just found this on the internet and thought it was useful. Some details on changing the gear box oil, although not a berlingo it all looks the same from what i can see.

http://206gti.net/gear-oil/

So what are peoples thoughts on the changing intervals for gear box oils, or what oil should I be using??
(02-12-2014, 01:37 PM)prunty Wrote:  Just found this on the internet and thought it was useful. Some details on changing the gear box oil, although not a berlingo it all looks the same from what i can see.

http://206gti.net/gear-oil/

So what are peoples thoughts on the changing intervals for gear box oils, or what oil should I be using??

Citroen service box documentation clearly say that gearbox is "lubed for life". 
I'm puzzled  what to do with that information. To change the oil or not to...
At least it should be checked every so often and topped up where necessary. This issue came to light with with me when the van I had developed a gear box problem, i.e. one of the bearings collapsed. When discussing the repair with the guy fixing it for me be commented on the fact that there was very little oil in the box and this probably contributed to the failure. As it happened I bought a second van as the repair is taking far longer than expected (Mates Rates etc, etc...) and I was wondering about the gear oil situation with this new one...
the drain is under

the fill is on the side.

the correct level to fill it is to the fill plug height when on a level surface.

IME they appear to be overfilled mostly when i open them and fairly waterlogged - i guess capillary action along the drive shaft via the main seal on the gear box.

I drain mine every couple of years and fill it again to keep it sweet.
I can only say that 2 litres of trans oil is cheaper that a new gearbox. I change mine at 20,000 m using full synth oil.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Changing the oil seems to be the way to go, so what grade do you guys use??
(04-12-2014, 09:35 PM)ron Wrote:  I can only say that 2 litres of trans oil is cheaper that a new gearbox. I change mine at 20,000 m using full synth oil.

I agree. Tell us , what oil ?