Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
towbar - dedicated electrics or not
Hi am looking at getting a towbar fitted, it'll only be used for a bike carrier and a basic trailer.

Have been quoted £372 for single electrics (7 pin) or £396 for 13 pin electrics from Indespension (detacheable thule towbar + elecs)

These arent 'dedicated' kits though, is it worth getting the dedicated wiring, bearing in mind its only going to be for the trailer / bike carrier lights and not for charging leisure batteries or powering a fridge like a caravan would need.

Or is the proper Citroen towbar + elecs the best way to go?

thanks
Theres plenty of previous forum material on this very subject if you search using your keywords.
Its an emotive subject - some will only go the genuine citroen way,some will have 3rd party fitted while others fit the kit themselves.
Its a matter of choice,finance and skill.
I subscribe to the third group having done countless vehicles myself and found the job very simple and straightforward.
I naturally baulk at the figures you quote however they are by no means the worst we've seen on these pages.
13 pin is the modern replacement for twin(7N+7S) sockets and will include power outlet.
If its only lighting you want then 7N single electrics is all you need.
But if the car is being taken apart anyway I would go for the full 13 pin (or 7+7 if you live in 1978) while you're at it as they dont seem to be quoting much more for it and you might get bitten by the towing bug and eventually end up with a caravan to play with....
We have a towbar on our Mk3.

I fitted the bar and got the local Citroen dealer to fit dedicated electrics as it is still under warranty. (I was given the advice to fit OE electrics by a towbar company just in case there are electrical issues under warranty so that it could not be used as an excuse for rejecting a claim). I wanted single electrics for towing a small trailer and using with a bike rack. The Citroen kit is only supplied as the full set either 2 7 pin sockets or 1 13pin socket.

I had reason to remove the nearside plastic panel in the boot and the Citroen kit is a plug in kit with all the correct sockets there for connection.

Although on the expensive side I am glad that I have gone this route.

On previous cars including our old berlingo I have always done both the bar and the electrics.

Peter
(15-04-2013, 10:38 AM)evdama Wrote:  I naturally baulk at the figures you quote however they are by no means the worst we've seen on these pages.
What would be a reasonable cost? Can you break down costs of towbar, electrics & fitting at commercial rates. What sort of time would it take a skilled operative to fit?
(15-04-2013, 03:22 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  What would be a reasonable cost? Can you break down costs of towbar, electrics & fitting at commercial rates. What sort of time would it take a skilled operative to fit?

All the parts required can be purchased for less than £120
I hour MAX job.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MudFT for this post:
  • Opensauce
(15-04-2013, 05:39 PM)MudFT Wrote:  
(15-04-2013, 03:22 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  What would be a reasonable cost? Can you break down costs of towbar, electrics & fitting at commercial rates. What sort of time would it take a skilled operative to fit?

All the parts required can be purchased for less than £120
I hour MAX job.

I would agree - £120 for parts
Id say a little longer for labour -2hrs max if its going to be a full twin/13 pin socket job.
What they would actually charge you is up to them.
Autotrader claims average labour costs even back in 2011 were £65ph.
Add all the other overheads and remember they are allowed to make some profit - those figures you were given weren't all that unreasonable.

If you have no spacial skill (or spanners) whatsoever then thats your obvious choice but if youre halfway inclined then you'd find it a surprisingly easy and rewarding little job to do yourself.
Plus there would be a dozen of us cyber-helpers here just fighting to help you at every stage!

As a sideline the difference between the your two quotations is so little considering the extra work involved - I'd take them for the full monty.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • Opensauce
I was quoted £600 for a twin socket at my local Citroen dealer. The recommended fitter (by the caravan sales dept where I bought the `van) charged half that. A very experienced guy with a good business.
7 plus 7 wiring fitted and configured by my local Citroen dealer for £200

Peter
(18-04-2013, 08:27 PM)Romahomepete Wrote:  7 plus 7 wiring fitted and configured by my local Citroen dealer for £200

Peter

Non Citroen fully fitted (non Citroen does not need to be configured).
NE England typical price is £180ish