Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolley jack use on berlingo mk1
hi
I know its been asked, as i read the post
but it must be possible to use a trolley jack to pump a berlingo up and put it on axle stands.
I want my Berlingo of the ground all the way around and intend to have it sit on 4 axle stands placed on the jacking points so i can get all the wheels off.
I will attempt this using my trusted 2 ton trolley jack and length of 3 x 2 placed on the jack to spread the weight
I will place the stands at jacking point areas
success or fail
it will be done

pictures of me trapped under the van , to follow
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to petesta for this post:
  • whitebus
Not a problem, put the jack stands at the very far end on the seals and it will be perfectly balanced as the engine side is the heavy one. There is probably good places at the axle but the jack stand design won't allow to reach it, or it might slip off easily I dunno. You can make your own ghetto jack up bar by welding few pieces of metal or get some thick wood and long screws, voila, lift the entire rear near the bumper (chassi rails). Same for the front but the bumper needs to be out. This is where a quick release bumper would pay off.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kokain for this post:
  • whitebus
I have always jacked under the sub-frame and put axle stands in the same place. That's what the MOT man so I assume that's the safest place to jack a car.

On previous cars I have attempted to use the official jacking points only to have them fail due to hidden rot in the cills!!
Mine is the M59 but the body is the same as the M49 isn't it ? The jacking points are inboard from the sill next to the box section that runs along the floor. As I posted in the other jack related thread someone had used my sill to jack the front corner and made a mess of the sill lip which annoyed me as I could see it when I walked towards the car so I had to use grips to straighten it out. Bits like that don't usually bother me but that just looked wrong.
So where does this bit go then ?
(11-09-2015, 03:45 PM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Mine is the M59 but the body is the same as the M49 isn't it ? The jacking points are inboard from the sill next to the box section that runs along the floor. As I posted in the other jack related thread someone had used my sill to jack the front corner and made a mess of the sill lip which annoyed me as I could see it when I walked towards the car so I had to use grips to straighten it out. Bits like that don't usually bother me but that just looked wrong.

I have decided the berlingo jacking points are crap but yes the use of a length of strong timber on top of my trolley jack did the job.
I got the back up in the air by this method then changed the rear shoes and wheel cylinders
Hi petesta , i have purchased a small 3 ton trolley jack from Machine Mart , i think it was around £35 ish so really not expensive ,what i had to do was heat the handle to red hot and bend it in the opposite direction to which it was originally as the handle wouldn't allow the jack to go right under the car and operate ,then i welded 2 short length's of bar to the saddle , this allows me to put the jack under the center of the axle and lift the rear end up to 550mm,once on axle stands i then remove the saddle and use the jack under the front cross member fixing bolts which are about 3 - 400 mm inboard of the jacking points , one side at a time ,once up to a reasonable height i put axle stands under the cill jacking points and take it up in stages so as not to unbalance the car.Works well and is very stable and safe.
I will take some pictures and post them later so you can see exactly what i mean.I'm a little busy right now.
Please,please, dont use wood as a structural support , if its got a hidden knot in it it WILL break . Be safe.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • geoff