Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.44 Average
turbo trouble ? or egr valve
The story so far ,
I get a call yesterday from the other half "the berlingo (1.6hdi 07) has lost power and a light has come on what should I do" I confirmed that it was the engine light and that there where no funny noises and got her to call out green flag,the green flag man came and read the code it was the EGR valve stuck he reset it and all seemed well, she carried on no problem untill the journey home when she lost power again and the light came on this time it was recovered and dropped home.
I tested it last night and all seemed well no light and going like a rocket
tested it this morning and all was well untill I tried it up a link road and when I got to about seventy and still accelerating there was a funny noise maybe twice and then the power went you could rev it ok in neutral but no real power when going, got home but the power never recovered even after stopping and restarting. Any thoughts ? I have got a nasty feeling it is the turbo but If I am honest I dont really have a clue.
I have been having a think
does the egr valve only open at 70 and if it was stuck would I loose boost down the exhaust pipe?
I'm told that if it's the turbo you'd hear a loud bang accompanied by black smoke .
Try some Redex diesel treatment (or similar ) to free up your sticky egr valve - it worked for me.

Sent by my mobile phone coz it's smarter than me!
OK I have had a chance to look tonight ,I took the air input pipe off and had a look inside ,,"Oh dear" I said to myself, well maybe a bit stronger language then that, it looks as if the centre shaft has unscrewed because it is sticking out of the impeller about an inch and the whole impeller is loose so looks like a new turbo insides needed.On that note I am off to the fridge to drown my sorrows and wallow in self pity.
I took the turbo off Today the shaft has snapped in Three places I have some photos is anyone is interested in seeing the carnage let me know and I will post them here
(06-04-2012, 06:05 PM)jimbo Wrote:  I took the turbo off Today the shaft has snapped in Three places I have some photos is anyone is interested in seeing the carnage let me know and I will post them here

Yes please if you don't mind....

Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
(06-04-2012, 06:05 PM)jimbo Wrote:  I took the turbo off Today the shaft has snapped in Three places I have some photos is anyone is interested in seeing the carnage let me know and I will post them here

I don't think a bottle of Redex is gonna sort that out!

Sent by my mobile phone coz it's smarter than me!
If like me you do not like the thought of spending money then look away now

[Image: DSCF3180.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3179.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3178.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3177.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3176.jpg]
not sure what went wrong yet probably starved of oil
That's a real bummer,but it's nice to see a turbo from the "inside".I hope it doesn't break the bank.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • jimbo
Looking at the colours on the forth photo I would have thought overheating due to oil starvation?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
Yes well cooked and the rotor has broken up so the bits of that will be ...somewhere!?? :O :eek:

Painful to look at BUT this is what can happen if you don't use the right oil and change the filter regularly.
I'm not saying that that was the cause in this case though.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool