Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
useless new ignition on 2015 Multispace
Hello all,

I bought the new Multispace BHDi 100XTR (with the screen) last month and it has a weird non-standard ignition which lacks the usual "Accessory" position, between OFF and Ignition Coil ON.  This means no radio or anything else without full power up.  Now I'm used to the irritating old Eco Mode from my previous Lingo, but this system removes all amenity when not actually driving.  (...I can only use the measly computer features - no SatNav as standard - while driving, although the Handbook says I mustn't!!)  

It also means that when the engine is switched off, instead of reverting to sidelights in Accessory position, ALL LIGHTS EXTINGUISH ...WITH THE LIGHTS SWITCH STILL IN THE "ON" POSITION!!  I had a very hairy moment pulling over at the house of a friend who lives on a busy unlit road here in Dorset, with my nephew and niece on board.  I pulled onto the verge and cut the engine - and we were plunged into darkness, with traffic hurtling by in the rain.  I panicked - had to quickly re-start the engine, just to be seen!!

The salesman told me "Oh I use Guide-me-Home in my C4" and I didn't even know what that was (cos the Handbook's been "unavailable" until last week…)  Now I find that that's a red herring, cos its about lighting one's walk to the front door - NOT the real hazard of lights being inexplicably and irreversibly extinguished in dangerous road conditions!!

Help anyone - am I going mad?!
Please avoid this model!  Thanks so much for any advice/assistance.
atb
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ukeman5 for this post:
  • jayjay2cv
I've not tried it on mine yet but I guess to put sidelights on with ignition off you will need to manually turn the lights off and then back on. That's how my previous Bipper worked and I assume the same with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
Just tried it and yes it does work. Without the key in the ignition, using the light stalk works in the same way when running.

Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
(26-10-2015, 09:53 PM)Tree Wrote:  Just tried it and yes it does work. Without the key in the ignition, using the light stalk works in the same way when running.

Thanks v much Tree.  

...But in the heat of the moment my reaction to finding us plunged into darkness with light switch ON an lorries thundering by was panic!  
I don't feel I could responsibly lend this car to someone without special instruction - as you've had to give to me (thanks!)
Might get away with it in town but not country roads

So do you have to put up with having no radio etc when parked up too?

I can't think what the point could be in such an unconventional and restricting design?  Never come across it before in 40 years motoring, and this is my third Lingo. 
atb
(26-10-2015, 04:08 PM)ukeman5 Wrote:  Hello all,

I bought the new Multispace BHDi 100XTR (with the screen) last month and it has a weird non-standard ignition which lacks the usual "Accessory" position, between OFF and Ignition Coil ON.  This means no radio or anything else without full power up.  Now I'm used to the irritating old Eco Mode from my previous Lingo, but this system removes all amenity when not actually driving.  (...I can only use the measly computer features - no SatNav as standard - while driving, although the Handbook says I mustn't!!)  

It also means that when the engine is switched off, instead of reverting to sidelights in Accessory position, ALL LIGHTS EXTINGUISH ...WITH THE LIGHTS SWITCH STILL IN THE "ON" POSITION!!  I had a very hairy moment pulling over at the house of a friend who lives on a busy unlit road here in Dorset, with my nephew and niece on board.  I pulled onto the verge and cut the engine - and we were plunged into darkness, with traffic hurtling by in the rain.  I panicked - had to quickly re-start the engine, just to be seen!!

The salesman told me "Oh I use Guide-me-Home in my C4" and I didn't even know what that was (cos the Handbook's been "unavailable" until last week…)  Now I find that that's a red herring, cos its about lighting one's walk to the front door - NOT the real hazard of lights being inexplicably and irreversibly extinguished in dangerous road conditions!!

atb
Hi ukeman5,i have the same model as yours i thought the radio was playing up at first having the same problem.Its the first car i have owned where you have to have the ignition on to listen to the radio.As you say all the other models had the annoying eco mode but at least you could listen for 10 mins or so.Another penny pinching exercise by Citroen.
(27-10-2015, 04:19 PM)steve Wrote:  
(26-10-2015, 04:08 PM)ukeman5 Wrote:  Hello all,

atb
Hi ukeman5,i have the same model as yours i thought the radio was playing up at first having the same problem.Its the first car i have owned where you have to have the ignition on to listen to the radio.As you say all the other models had the annoying eco mode but at least you could listen for 10 mins or so.Another penny pinching exercise by Citroen.

Thanks Steve.  But penny-pinching?  Surely a non-standard ignition costs MORE than conventional? 
But what alarms me is its effect on lights/safety:  To be safe - as with other cars - engine switch-off should leave sidelights ON, in Accessory position, until key is switched to fully OFF prior to leaving the car.  I wouldn't allow loved ones to to drive this car at night for the reasons I've mentioned:  It's highly unusual and only becomes apparent when you're in a hairy situation and the lights seem to have failed!  What's the point in such a backward step in amenity value and safety?  If I could think of just one advantage I might put up with it.  Any ideas?

Thanks, 
ukeman5
I like the feature of the lights all turning off on my 63 plate, as it means I leave the stalk set on side lights forever and never flatten the battery, the dash goes dark so you know pretty quick the lights are out, and the stereo issue on mine is fine because I push the power on and get 20 minutes radio, (not sure on touchscreen models)
63 plate Berlingo working hard.....
(28-10-2015, 01:12 PM)doofer Wrote:  This is the way almost all cars are going now, and I much prefer it.  My previous Fiat was the same.

I've got the auto lights option, so mine certainly go off with the ignition.  I've never touched the headlight switch actually, since I switchd it to Auto when I bought it.

Thanks Doofer,

Oh how I hate that phrase "it's the way they're going..."!  My Lingo does NOT have Auto...  And came with daytime LEDs so don't want me lights on too?!

Cheers
Hi chaps.

I've just checked things on my April 64 VTR auto.  

The push-button radio works even without a key in the ignition, though I believe it'll only work for a short while to conserve the battery.

The lights also work without the key. I've found that if you've left the headlights or sidelights on when you switch off the ignition, they go off. 

But if you want them on again when the ignition is off, switch them to the OFF position, then switch them ON again, and they work.

So there's probably been a change since I bought mine.  I think I've explained it correctly but I'm sure someone will tell me if I've got it wrong.

I think I'm alone on this, but I'd still like my instrument panel illuminated when the DLRs are on, instead of needing to put the less-visible (from the front anyway) sidelights on.

But you can't please all the people all of the time, especially me.
Push-button radio?  Luxury !  The screen in the 2015 XTR loses all controls. No on/off - starts with ignition and stops when ignition off.  Can't use any screen features when parked up and Handbook tells me not to use them on the road (doesn't have satnav anyway!!)! Practically useless system in this car.  Screen is a gimmick

Cheers guys