Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 2ltr HDi suddenly wont start
Hi there
Got an '06 Berlingo van 2ltr HDi. Done about 95K now and had her for coming up to four years. Been very reliable engine wise until yesterday. Got in it in the morning to turn it round to hitch a trailer on and it started perfect as ever. Did the three point manouvre and backed up to the trailer. Turned ignition off and hitched up trailer. Got back in and it wouldnt fire up at all. I had a van that did this once before and it was the fuel filter so eventually tracked a new one down and got a lift and went and got one. Fitted new one no problem. Primed the fuel line and it fired up after several turns and was spot on. By now it was late afternoon so didnt go to work (self employed). Left it overnight until this morning and again it wouldnt start.....turning over well but not even trying to fire up. Flattened battery trying so have spent all day charging. Tried some reset techniques for bsi (?) as posted on here but to no avail.
Dark now so Im leaving it but wondered if I should crack off an injector in morning to see if fuel reaching engine. Suggestions anyone.
Note: I live in a remote part of the Yorkshire Dales got a farm next door with plenty of garage stuff and Ive done plenty of DIY mechanicing over years but dont have a code reader. Any suggestions welcome.
You need to get it on to some diagnostics really, I could suggest lots of things but would likely send you down the wrong route if you don't have a rough idea of what is going on. Are you sure changing the filter is what fixed it, or is it just coincidence that it started after you changed it?

Does it run the Siemens SID801 injection system I am assuming?
http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Remaps available for 1.6 EDC16, 2.0 Bosch EDC15 & Siemens SID801
(19-02-2015, 07:30 PM)pro_steve Wrote:  You need to get it on to some diagnostics really, I could suggest lots of things but would likely send you down the wrong route if you don't have a rough idea of what is going on. Are you sure changing the filter is what fixed it, or is it just coincidence that it started after you changed it?

Does it run the Siemens SID801 injection system I am assuming?

Thanks for reply
Whilst you have been replying to my plight (big thanks) I went and tried the reset procedure again for the BSI.
Berlingo fired up first time and is currently ticking over sweetly as we speak. Daren't get too excited just yet...maybe a little.
I dont think I followed the reset procedure properly the first time - didnt hold lock button down on fob whilst ignition 'on'.
Just for reference (and at risk of repeat) here is the reset procedure for anyone with a similar snag. Still dont know why the BSI went faulty in first place but hey ho its a Berlingo!

Open driver window and prop up bonnet.
Remove key from ignition and note which is the 'lock' button on fob. You need to know this shortly.
Switch everything off in vehicle including interior lights to 'off'.
Close all doors.
Wait three minutes.
Disconnect battery for 15 secs then reconnect.
Wait 10 secs.
Turn on sidelights.
Put key in ignition and turn key so instruments light up BUT DO NOT START.
Hold 'lock' button down for 10 secs while key is still in ignition.
Switch off ignition and remove key.
Open and close doors and switch central locking on and off.
Start your engine.

Thanks to all those who post on the internet just to help others.  Grateful of Yorkshire.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to darrenchadwick for this post:
  • andy-womble
Are you sure you had the ignition off when you plugged in the electrics for the trailer, I wonder if it caused a spike and it decided to throw a wobbler.
This thread on starting and starter motors may be of interest to you. http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-11...rter+motor
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Thanks TC, Ive never had a starter motor issue on this Berlingo.
Van has been perfect since resetting BSI. Was obviously something electronic. It could have been something to do with me pulling the fuses out one by one to check for blowing which naffed up the BSI...I dont know. Also could have been a simple issue of the battery in the keyfob. If this isnt making full contact (replaced it anyway) it will kick the immobiliser in. All is well now thats the main thing.