Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
wont start
I set off and about 5 seconds later the engine died. I thought i'd stalled at first but when i tried starting up again she turned over but would fire up. Anti pollution came up on the display. It keeps turning over but wont start. The 'anti pollution' diplay doesnt come on now.

Any ideas folks?
Hi, it would help to begin with a quick summary of engine/year.
(07-04-2013, 09:23 PM)addo Wrote:  Hi, it would help to begin with a quick summary of engine/year.
Apologies,
Berlingo 1.6 HDi 2010
Possibly egr valve failure. Its what happened on mine. Anti polution fault came up on way home & car went into 'limp mode' 35mph. Car would not start next morning, AA tow to Citroen garage & new egr valve £520 bill. Egr valve had failed, part dropped out of it when they removed it. Car was under 4yrs old but out of warranty of course. A few emails to Citroen UK giving them my thoughts/opinions & I recieved a £300 cheque for cost of parts so final bill was £220.

Citroen parts charge £300 for Valeo egr valves but you can find Valeo egr valves for 1.6diesel from ebay suppliers for under £100 & other suppliers for £160 so make of that what you will. You can also get egr blanking plates for 1.6 diesel off ebay but probably not a good idea with modern cars.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • venkys out
(08-04-2013, 09:08 AM)Opensauce Wrote:  ......You can also get egr blanking plates for 1.6 diesel off ebay but probably not a good idea with modern cars.

Why not?? The EGR valve is just used for lowering the emissions and
from what I've read both here and elsewhere they're more trouble than they're worth and only have a
marginal effect on emissions while putting the engine's life in danger.
I'm sure mine would still pass the emissions part of the MoT without the EGR.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • venkys out
All sorts of opinions on this on the internet, some reckon if you blank off a current car, engine light stays on & need ecu sorting to turn it off. Some say exhaust temp is raised, shortening life of turbo. Emissions is not tested on diesels for mot only smoke. There is talk that soon mot tests will incluce diagnostic check to detect if anti polution devices have been blanked/removed....make of it what you will....
Well, firstly, any PAS tech with a reasonable amount of savvy would be able to see if the
EGR valve was removed so no need for diagnostics. Same goes for DPF (FAP) and CAT.
If my EGR valve needs replacing I'll remove it and use a blanking plate. If, in the
future, legislation states that my car must have one then that's the time when I shall fit it.
The great news is that my car has no DPF (OEM) so there's one potential problem I won't have to deal with.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool