Berlingo Forum

Full Version: No Clutch Pedel Pressure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've recently purchased a crash damaged 2008 (Mark 2) Berlingo 1.6 Hdi, with fairly minor frontal impact. Something went through the radiator and seems to have pushed against the clutch actuation mechanism which appears to be on the front of the engine/gearbox. Although the pipe coming out of this mechanism has been bent slight it all appears to be still in one piece with no signs of a leak, however there is no pressure on the clutch pedal. It just sits in against the bulk head; although does pop back up when you lift it.

Is it just a matter of bleeding the clutch and if so how is this done?? I am assuming that it is the bleed screw that is located on the end of the clutch actuation mechanism down at the engine/gearbox but where is the reservoir??
Is the bleeding process just a matter of pumping the pedal??

Any advice or comments on this would be greatly appreciated…
The brake fluid reservoir is also the clutch fluid reservoir. (only on those 1.6 models that have a hydraulic clutch operation.)
(24-11-2014, 05:47 PM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]The brake fluid reservoir is also the clutch fluid reservoir. (only on those 1.6 models that have a hydraulic clutch operation.)

Thanks for that, so is it only a matter of keeping that reservoir topped up and bleeding the system from the bleed screw down at the gearbox??
yes , if it is air in the system . Use a bottle and bleed pipe ,should be fairly easy to do.
This turned out to be a lot easier than expected. Started off by pumping the mechanism down at the gear box (as there was no resistance on the pedel) without opening the bleed screw. This seemed to be forcing air out at the reservoir and eventually brought pressure to the pedel. Then switched to pumping the pedel, forcing more air out at the reservoir until the pressure on the pedel was fine. Didn't use the bleed screw at all, but did keep the reservoir topped up throughout the process...
(03-12-2014, 07:34 AM)prunty Wrote: [ -> ]This turned out to be a lot easier than expected. Started off by pumping the  mechanism down at the gear box (as there was no resistance on the pedel) without opening the bleed screw. This seemed to be forcing air out at the reservoir and eventually brought pressure to the pedel. Then switched to pumping the pedel, forcing more air out at the reservoir until the pressure on the pedel was fine. Didn't use the bleed screw at all, but did keep the reservoir topped up throughout the process...

That's a novel way of doing it.It may be a good idea to change the brake fluid & trans oil while your enthusiam is at its peak. :wave: :wave:
(11-12-2014, 08:43 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2014, 07:34 AM)prunty Wrote: [ -> ]This turned out to be a lot easier than expected. Started off by pumping the  mechanism down at the gear box (as there was no resistance on the pedel) without opening the bleed screw. This seemed to be forcing air out at the reservoir and eventually brought pressure to the pedel. Then switched to pumping the pedel, forcing more air out at the reservoir until the pressure on the pedel was fine. Didn't use the bleed screw at all, but did keep the reservoir topped up throughout the process...

That's a novel way of doing it.It may be a good idea to change the brake fluid & trans oil while your enthusiam is at its peak. :wave: :wave:
Funny I have done the trans oil and as it turned out there was practically no oil in the gear box, less than half a litre came out and I replaced it with just over two litres.

Brake Fluid will do I'd say. I changed the plungers in the rear brakes (not sure the if that's what they are called, the items that presses the brake shore against the drum) and My God the hassle I had bleeding the system again.