Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Van speed limits UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The link below confirms that a Berlingo van is not a car derived van, hence a limit of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual-carriageways

www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/info/safer-for-drivers/car-derived-vans

However, I always thought that the MkIII being based on the C4 platform IS a car derived van in which case the limit would be 60 on single carriageways and 70 on dual-carriageways.

If anyone here has a MKIII van, could they have a look at their V5 to see if it is described as a ‘car-derived van’ or not.

I also assume that if someone converts their multispace into a van it then has to confirm to the lower limits?

Its a daft piece of old legislation made when 'vans' had leaf springs and drum brakes. Unfortunately many drivers get fined for speeding without realising that they are breaking the law.
If a van style car has more than two tonnes gross laden then its classed as a van.
  hi ,
       What the link about berlingo vans does  not say is that the berlingo/ partner  is based on the Peugeot 306 therefore a car

derived van , the multispace is a car derived from a van, therefore the lower speed limits should apply but not to the pure van
The link states incorrectly Nemo/Fiorino/Bipper although under 2tonnes laden are subject to van speed limits because there are no car equivalents.
Reading that link it does say one Nemo driver had his nick thrown out on appeal & it then says 70 ok in Berlingo because it is a car derived van! What I do know is that if I drive on the A12 early morning, convoys of builders Transits pass me at speeds well above 70.   Big Grin
My V5 says Diesel Car Big Grin
Motorway speed limits are the same for vans as cars, its unrestricted dual and single lane carriageways that have a 10mph reduction.

All cars are cars, they do not have a van derived car classification

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
Solent asked :

If anyone here has a MKIII van, could they have a look at their V5 to see if it is described as a ‘car-derived van’ or not.

I've got a MK3 L2 LX Van 2150Kg Gross, and my V5 says Body type "PANEL VAN", and Vehicle Category "N1". From what I've read on links above, N1 means that I can drive at 70 mph on dual carriageways.
Sorry, got that wrong, I'm subject to large van speed limits. So, despite having ABS and disc brakes on every wheel, I've got to crawl around at 50mph on single carriageways. From now on, I'll have artics up my backside, wanting to do their maximum (speed limited) speed of 56mph lol!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5