Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Gear Selector Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a 2003 1.9 van with just over 100K on the clock. It has been running fine until suddenly this morning the gear selection became problematic. Initially it baulked at third, then I realised that every gear change was sloppy and sometimes I had to go into a gear I didn't need to be able to change to the one I wanted.

The clutch was replaced about 3k ago so that shouldn't be an issue and presumably the fault won't be the gearbox oil owing to the suddenness of the problem occurring. I'm thinking that the linkage might be the problem but don't know what to look out for. Could anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
You need to get underneath and have a look at the gear linkage, there are various ball and socket linkages and it sounds like one or all may be worn. There are a few threads on the forum showing diagrams of the set up. Parts are available from dealers and aftermarket but be careful of quality of some aftermarket bits.
Thanks Tomcat. I found the problem just by looking in from under the bonnet underneath the battery area. A banjo type coupling had come off. I've managed to squeeze it back on quite easily. I'll order a new one tomorrow.
You also want to look at the one at the bottom of the gear box they can come loose
Thanks lads. It has been changed today - the longest one at the top of the box. Thirty quid fitted. Everything is OK now.
Glad to see you've  got it sorted  Smile