Berlingo Forum

Full Version: bottom pully
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi folks  ive had a weired noise comming from the front of the engine.2.0 hdi..2004 . i thought it sounded like a bearing going. so took it to my garage to be checked and he said it was bottom pully going,so i left the car this morning and went to collect mid day. when i arrived the front of the engine was stripped .what had happened was the pully had taken over 1/4 inch off the cambelt . so he was fitting a new cam kit with water pump.not good as it was only fitted around 7 months ago.still better safe than sorry. so keep an eye on those bottom pullys lads as they can take out the cam belts.[Image: sad.png]
HI landcrab, not much use to you now but the trade are advised to replace these damping pulleys when doing a cam belt change due to this problem. Personally i inspect the pulley and reuse if its okay the help keep costs down, if they are failing and caught early enough they will cause no damage but if not they can lead to a broken cam belt and a major engine bill.

Just curious how many miles since the cambelt was replaced?
hi polar i would think she had done 5-5500 miles the noise started around a month ago sometimes noiser than others ,as said it sounded like a noisy bearing to me i thought they sound more knocky when going . any way ive had the cambelt kit ..water pump (think i could have got away with this ) and new pully fitted and now she sounds very sweet.spose it could have been worse eh.. its been a great car but ive spent some doe on it recently.still its all up together now. I HOPE,
I would have thought if its only done 5k since the first cam belt was done the damper may well have been sowing signs of wear back then. I would not want to be paying again for a cam belt!

Can you see where im coming from?
(04-08-2015, 04:47 PM)landcrab Wrote: [ -> ]hi polar i would think she had done 5-5500 miles the noise started around a month ago sometimes noiser than others ,as said it sounded like a noisy bearing to me i thought they sound more knocky when going . any way ive had the cambelt kit ..water pump (think i could have got away with this ) and new pully fitted and now she sounds very sweet.spose it could have been worse eh.. its been a great car but ive spent some doe on it recently.still its all up together now. I HOPE,

When you take into account depreciation etc,keeping an older car fit is cheaper to run.The secret is to know when to call it a day.I reckon £4-500 per year is reasonable.
it ended up costing £360 to get the car sorted....it now sounds sweet as a nut .ive had the car over 3 years .and although ive spent quite a few bob on it i think it was well worth it. being a 2.0hdi it goes very well and returns 50 mpg and can carry a large load if need be. it never uses any oil or water between services. i think they are great little cars and would like to be keeping it for a long time yet. i could be buying a later one but would it be any better half the time i think you are just buying number plates.
(05-08-2015, 08:15 PM)landcrab Wrote: [ -> ]it ended up costing £360 to get the car sorted....it now sounds sweet as a nut .ive had the car over 3 years .and although ive spent quite a few bob on it i think it was well worth it. being a 2.0hdi it goes very well and returns 50 mpg and can carry a large load if need be. it never uses any oil or water between services. i think they are great little cars and would like to be keeping it for a long time yet. i could be buying a later one but would it be any better half the time i think you are just buying number plates.

Remember the old saying,'better the devil you know,than the devil you don't'
got to agree with you there ron.