Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Key coding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi can any owner help. I have a Berlingo year 2002. The key in the ignition is sticking when first put in. It takes a lot of fiddling to turn the key to the first position. Past this position it works. The key is an actual key not the electronic type with central locking buttons/plips. I assumed key was not working because of wear on the key or the ignition barrel. I managed to get a replacement 2nd hand ignition barrel and key intending to replace the barrel. The dealer suggested I remove the chip from the key and tape it to the barrel. The problem is the key handle is solid plastic and I can see no way of removing the chip from the key without damaging it. I managed after much frustration to remove the existing barrel, if anyone wants to know how to do this contact me. The problem is even the type of key I have has an embedded chip in it and the cost of coding the key to the car is ridiculous. So if I fit the new barrel the car will not start. Is there a way round this or do I have to bite the bullet and pay the exorbitant coding cost?

Thanks stuart:brickwall:
just tape the old key to the barrel.
Ask around at independent Citroen garages - the one near me will code a key for around £20.
I to only have the spare sealed key, although it works fine I want the electronic central locking key, best deal I
Could find off a local mobile key bloke was £150 , same price of a mate of a mate who works at citroen dealership in Cardiff , the guy says if I can get the security code of dealer somehow ;-) then he could
So a button key for £120, bottom of the list at the
Moment , to many other probs !! Point
I'm making is there's no cheap way around keys unfortunately mate !!
Many thanks to the people who replied. I decided to try and see if a new key would work. Went to local locksmith http://www.newcastlelockandsafe.co.uk Very helpful, not cheap £78 but a lot cheaper than main dealers and mobile auto locksmiths and the new key worked.

thanks stuart