Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Rear Axle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

I've seen a few posts related to rear axle problems stating that if your rear wheels are pointing inwards at the top your axle is shot. My back wheels are pointing inwards at top however I've only bought my Mk1 Berlingo a few weeks ago with 10 months MOT. There are no noises whatsoever from the rear and the car drives perfectly. 

My question is, do I just keep driving it until something breaks? Don't really want to go spending 100's of pounds as I only hope to get a year or so out of the car. 

Any advice welcome Cheers 

[Image: image_9.jpeg]
If it drives OK and no bangs or knocks should be ok,plus if it past its mot 2 months ago,it can't be that bad,
You'll know if the torsion bars go. The van will drop at the back end. It can happen when you're driving or more often when loading it with something. Mine went when I got in the drivers seat (Im only 12 stone) with some bags of sand in the back. My 12 stone was the last straw for it and bang it went. My neighbours went when they were driving. They use their van for delivering groceries so no great weight in it. As the old saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it.
The wheels will have camber (point in to a degree) on them, however when it goes the inside of the wheel at the top gets way closer to the arch (sometimes rubs if bad enough!), don't fret, if it passed an MOT then you should be all good!
Thanks for the advice guys. You've put my mind at rest. Only paid £400 for the car and was hoping to get atleast a year or so out of it. Only use it for fishing & mountain biking trips so won't be doing mega miles. Fingers crossed she's good to me. Drivers side caliper is binding on. I've taken it of and clean up the piston which freed it off a good bit but it's looking likely I will need to go to the Scappies for a caliper. Not to worry.

Regards Davie ?