Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Rusty sump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My 1.9D Puglingo has a rather rusty sump. There is no bottom cover on my van (no top cover either) and it catches a lot off muck off the road. I've cleaned it, treated it with rust remover and sprayed it with Hammerite smooth.

Have I done the right thing? Would another product have been better?
The Hammerite didn't half stink during the first run, but I guess it's well baked on now.Smile
Can you provide us a pictures of rusty sump?
(25-11-2011, 07:45 PM)pk7478 Wrote: [ -> ]Could you please provide us a pictures of rusty sump?

No. It has been painted now, so hopefully no longer rusty. :thumbsup:
It has to be an improvement on leaving it to further deteriorate.

I think mine is aluminum but some models must have steel sumps I guess.
In the good old days of motoring a rusty sump was probably unheard of but then again in that era most vehicles developed engine oil leaks that would match the Torrey Canyon. It used to be quite commone to have the engine steam cleaned on a regular basis.... Nowadays engines seem to be "sealed for life" but as a consequence the sumps go rusty....
my sump was the same, cleaned it, sprayed it, but six thousand miles later the paint is coming off, really could do with a new one, wheres the best place tog et one? mines a 2002 mk1 2.0hdi.
Can't you put some oil/waxoil or similar on it.
My mate's wifes Ford KA had to have a new sump due to going rusty/porous and that was a few years back on a 51 plate...
I used stone chip spray paint, it's all flaking off, perhaps the surface wasn't sound but I didn't want to hit it too hard with the wire brush incase the metal was thin..
(25-11-2011, 11:59 PM)andy-womble Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you put some oil/waxoil or similar on it......
Yep! I agree with Andy. Use underseal and that should be tough enough to withstand most of what is thrown at it. :thumbsup:
(25-11-2011, 11:59 PM)andy-womble Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you put some oil/waxoil or similar on it.
My mate's wifes Ford KA had to have a new sump due to going rusty/porous and that was a few years back on a 51 plate...

I did think about Waxoyl, but the sump gets too hot so the Waxoyl would just melt? :S And it would stink! :eek: Same with underseal; that's why I thought Hammerite might be best.

A good thick coat of galvanising from the factory would be the answer but that'll never happen. Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2