Berlingo Forum

Full Version: fault codes please help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys

I've recently bought a '57 plate Berlingo van and I think Ive been swizzed!

It seemed to drive O.K. around the 30 mph roads I test drove it on, it looks fine and sounds fine ( from a womans point of view lol )

When I drove it home on the Motorway I couldnt get it over 55mph and it is really sluggish.

I had a friend look at it and he found a piece of tape over the engine fault light. He borrowed a reader ( an orange thing with a wire) and found two faults.

p0299 and p0405

Its a '57 Berlingo 1600 HDI 75
Ive been tld they're 'not built for racing' but this is really sluggish and I had problems keeping up with the traffic! I bought this van to deliver flowers but it looks as though I might have wasted my money!
Have I been swizzed? Can it be mended? Please help
Pam.
The 1.6 HDi is a nippy vehicle and can in no way be described as sluggish.
I would be taking it straight back and telling the person who sold it to you
that your mechanic discovered the tape over the engine warning light and
it is clearly a case of fraud (Which it is.). The seller has quite deliberately
concealed what may be a serious engine fault that may have caused an accident.
He can't deny it and you have a witness.
My guess is that the turbo has failed. A Citroen-savvy smaller garage with the
necessary diagnostic equipment would be able to tell you precisely what the fault(s)
is (are).
p0299 is Turbo under boost.
p0405 is EGR valve position sensor error.
(22-03-2012, 12:07 PM)OlJeffers Wrote: [ -> ]The 1.6 HDi is a nippy vehicle and can in no way be described as sluggish.
I would be taking it straight back and telling the person who sold it to you
that your mechanic discovered the tape over the engine warning light and
it is clearly a case of fraud (Which it is.). The seller has quite deliberately
concealed what may be a serious engine fault that may have caused an accident.
He can't deny it and you have a witness.
My guess is that the turbo has failed. A Citroen-savvy smaller garage with the
necessary diagnostic equipment would be able to tell you precisely what the fault(s)
is (are).
p0299 is Turbo under boost.
p0405 is EGR valve position sensor error.

Thank you OJ.
Do you think its possible that one fault is creating the other? That is - if there is a fault on a position sensor could that be effecting the turbo under boost and creating the 0299 fault or are they both independent faults and coincidental
Thank you so much again.
Pam
Sorry Pam I don't know the answer to that.
You may like to PM Rustscrat or ScubadivingBoy and ask them.
You also have to ask yourself why the seller of your vehicle obscured the engine fault lamp. Once again, my guess is that the seller knows
exactly what's wrong and chose not to repair it himself because of cost. (A turbo is around £800!)
Your best advice is to contact the seller tell him what you've discovered and demand a refund. He can't use the 'sold as seen' ploy
because he deliberately concealed a fault and mis-sold the van. If the engine warning light was visible and you bought the van, then it
would have been your problem but as it is the van has been been sold fraudulently. If the seller is a car dealer then give your local
Trading Standards (Consumer Direct) a ring and you'll find that they'll be eager to help.
Both of those faults, taken individually, are a sign that the van hasn't been correctly serviced and may have been using the wrong oil.