Berlingo Forum

Full Version: ANOTHER RATTLE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been hearing (another dull) rattle on and off from bottom of engine bay, a trip to garage found nothing steering, Suspension or drive shaft related (surprised)

Driving over rough ground no rattle, going over gentle ground/pot holes etc and when on full right lock, rattling.

After further detailed investigation by frustrated owner.
(shaking everything in sight under bonnet)
Radiator is loose and seems to be only held on by two top mounting brackets albeit loosely, will update this post after another trip to garage.

woodshaper
Another member mentioned the same thing recently.

Colin
(23-03-2012, 07:11 AM)reedx Wrote: [ -> ]Another member mentioned the same thing recently.

Colin
It was me! mY son`s Peugeot had loose radiator fittings. They cause a lot of head scratching . . .
Apparently (so I've been told by the garage) the radiator can jump out of the bottom brackets/bushes come off?
Radiator is loose but still secure so have left it until servicing time to be sorted.

*I can no longer hear the rattles its making due to the noise that the worn out wheel bearing is making!:S

woodshaper
i have a rattle underneath engine bay someware happens on offside going over manhole covers and light thing like that .Its a 59 plate xtr .and its was doing it when i got it 2years ago but very slight now its louder so im gonna take off the sump guard and have a good look lol
Garage had a good look to see if they could hear/see what was causing rattling, but could not.
Said to return if rattle got worse.

So here we are a few Months later on and.........................................

The soft rattle (that started out exactly like yours dowdy)
Has developed into VERY worrying MUCH louder ones, when I drive over smooth ground/grates/set off etc etc it sounds like the front Axle/end is about to drop off:brickwall:

Going onto full right hand lock produces a series of what can only be described as loud cracks from under the front of the floor!

Funny thing is when driving over speed bumps/traffic calming street furniture, NOTHING HAPPENS, ZERO, ZILCH, NO NOISE AT ALL???????????Confusedcratch:

Wheel bearings/wheels/brakes/drive shafts, all okay, only loose bit I (and others) can find is the bottom of the Radiator is a little loose but cannot be responsible for causing the above noises.

Only thing that comes to mind is that many years ago when working in a Commercial Garage I heard something similar from a CF van, this was a found to be a broken gear box mounting (I think?)

Am taking the :censored::censored::censored::censored: thing back to garage again next week so will keep you posted.

woodshaper
I have similar rattle, just appeared, I dont have the small bump symptom but when on start up and the engine a bit lumpy it is there on tick over getting worse on full right lock. If I put a little load on the engine by letting out the clutch a little, presumably stabilising it, it disappears. I have been doing repeated cooling system flushes so maybe my messing with it has disturbed something and so is possibly something to do with the rad, as others have suggested. It does however seem to be coming from the bottom of the engine bay on the right hand side. Difficult to tell cos when I look from the bonnet I can only hear it faintly, so it seems to be something knocking a bulkhead. Confusedcratch:
(18-05-2012, 06:09 AM)mrbritse Wrote: [ -> ]I have similar rattle, just appeared, I dont have the small bump symptom but when on start up and the engine a bit lumpy it is there on tick over getting worse on full right lock. If I put a little load on the engine by letting out the clutch a little, presumably stabilising it, it disappears. I have been doing repeated cooling system flushes so maybe my messing with it has disturbed something and so is possibly something to do with the rad, as others have suggested. It does however seem to be coming from the bottom of the engine bay on the right hand side. Difficult to tell cos when I look from the bonnet I can only hear it faintly, so it seems to be something knocking a bulkhead. Confusedcratch:
Not the same vehicle at all, as the above is on a Mk.3 under warranty, Mr B! Try checking your engine mountings!
Garage have found one Drop Link worn and also one Ball joint.
So having all of em replaced to be on the safe side!

woodshaperSmile
What mileage are you on woodshaper? My drop links were replaced at 23000. Surely they should last longer than that especially as the component is presumably identical to those used on the previous Berlingos and therefore designed for a commercial vehicle. To me it points to a design or manufacturing fault of the component. This appears to be creaping into the overall design of the Mk 3 if you add all the reported problems up; eg; strut top mountings, radiator mountings, drop links, rear end dump steer, poor rear tyre wear etc.I like the Berlingo Multispace, it does just what I want and need, but if these kinds of problem start to occur, when I come to replace it in three years or so I will certainly look elswhere.
Pages: 1 2