Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Instrument panel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi. I bought a berlingo (2001/51 600LX HDi) this week which had some issues. I have done the majority of the issues (spinning locks etc) but remain perplexed by the instrument panel. Initially it was the speedo and rev counter weren't working. I tried the BSI reset sequence several times and cleaned the earth points in the N/S footwell and the three on the N/S/F inner wing. After that all had no effect I read on and it was suggested to remove the binnacle and check the connections for deterioration. This done, clean as a whistle. The only thing that's different is the clock/milometer/trip counter now doesn't work either.
The speedo jumps up when you turn the ignition on and then does nothing. When you switch the ignition off the speedo slams down to its stop and occasionally there is a relay going berserk behind the dash. Other point is sometimes the engine management light comes on and forces the engine into limp mode. A restart fixes the engine management problem.
Other than these issues, cracking van!

Cheers in advance,
Mart.
Hi, does the mileometer light up, does it read zero's or is it just not counting? Confusedcratch:
It illuminates but absolutely nothing on the screen what so ever.
Before it stopped the clock worked fine but the miles never went up at all.
Have you had the drive shafts out of the gear box for any reason, eg clutch replacement? Confusedcratch:
I bought the van on Thursday with no history of repairs. It was a trade deal so its all a but of a gamble. There is no obvious sign of any major repairs and the clutch is definitely not new!
I've read threads about damaged sensors in fly wheels etc so was hoping it wasn't as full on as that.
If you could PM me your Vin No. I can dig out the correct drawings for your van. At the moment there are a few different ones. :thumbsup:
No problems, I'll do that now.
Thanks.
Your speedo cluster is fed by Comms from the BSI.
I would start at your speed sensor which is on your gearbox.
This feeds info to your engine ecu and your BSI which then passes it to your speedo cluster to feed the mileometer and the speedo. It is possible to remove this and and spin it with a battery drill of some kind to see if it has any effect on your speedo. (ignition on of course).
It is a common fault that the drive pinion which turns the speed sensor breaks causing the speedo faults.

Of course these faults could just be a reboot issue.
Make sure you follow the shut down / start up procedure to the letter.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...ot_process

While you have got your battery disconnected, check the connections at the speedo and the BSI. Also look for water damage on the BSI as again it is known for the windscreens to leak.
The speed sensor is on the drivers side of your differential. Item 2 is what breaks.
[attachment=621]

Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
Thanks for all the info. My only other issue is I have no idea where the BSI is or what it looks like. Sorry for sounding dull.
Not a problem, Your BSI (basic systems interface) is behind the cover under your steering wheel. It will be laid flat so you will see the fuses on the end. It should unclip and pull out if the cables are not too tight.
With the Bsi shut down, check - fuse "F" (left most fuse) then check connection 26v BE (EH1), this is your Comms to the speedo cluster & also the main earth coming from the passengers foot well (that you have checked). Then check connection 16v NR (PH) this provides the supply for the Comms. The connections release by the colored locking tabs Confusedalut:
If it's still faulty, see if the clicking relay sound is coming from the BSI.
Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:

[Image: m8n494.png]
Pages: 1 2 3 4