Berlingo Forum

Full Version: MOT and Modifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems like the bureaucrats in Brussels are proposing some quite ranging changes to the MOT that could outlaw any modifications

see this link
Quote:Under the plans, a vehicle would automatically fail its MOT test if its ‘technical specifications’ was found to differ from the technical specification it had when it rolled off the production line.

Discuss....
(20-09-2012, 07:00 PM)Noel Brig Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like the bureaucrats in Brussels are proposing some quite ranging changes to the MOT that could outlaw any modifications

see this link
Quote:Under the plans, a vehicle would automatically fail its MOT test if its ‘technical specifications’ was found to differ from the technical specification it had when it rolled off the production line.

Discuss....

Discuss..... Sounds like we are back at school, do you want us to write an essay on the subject ????

You may not like the answers that some people may write, a few think that they are above and beyond the laws of the land, good luck...
I wouldn't read too much into that, there's a "scare" in a similar vein every few months from the Eurocrats in Brussels.
Certainly anything like that could never be made to work retrospectively, it may however be made to apply to new production vehicles, or for example vehicles in the first few years after their production (which don't require an MOT in any case).
But there is a massive industry in aftermarket parts for all types of cars, which surely would be strongly against any such changes.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about such stories, it's most likely just another Euromyth... remember the one about bananas must be straight?:lol:

Some more Euromyths...
(20-09-2012, 08:31 PM)hachiroku Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said, I wouldn't worry about such stories, it's most likely just another Euromyth... remember the one about bananas must be straight?:lol:
Some more Euromyths...

Well, I hope you're right, but very much fear you're not. There's a tendency in Brussels to bring all coutries' rules in line with the rules in the most bureaucratic/repressive nation they can find. The rules proposed, as I understand, are even fiercer than those in the Netherlands, where I live. And they are not nice here. That nice BBC programme about Bangladeshi designer and Cockney mechanic under the arches? Make one of those cars here and you'd probably be thrown in jail. I met an English ex-pat living here who put high-quality gas shocks, Konis I think, on his Dutch-registered car when he was visiting back in the UK. It failed its next MOT here, and he had hassles.
As I say. I hope you're right, but.....

Richard
(20-09-2012, 07:59 PM)andy-womble Wrote: [ -> ]Discuss..... Sounds like we are back at school, do you want us to write an essay on the subject ????
hmmm - did sound a bit like that didn't it - truth is, i didn't get to write essays at my school and trying to make up for it now, wasn't that sort of school, teachers were more into crowd control - probably the reason why i'm driving round in a white van LOL

now if I had been to the grammar school at the posh end of town I may have now been chatting to Rupert on the Porsche forum.
Looks like the blue touch paper didn't get lit after all.
I beleive Ford tried that a few years back, on aftermarket parts EG everything including tyres had to come from Ford. But Bosch/Lucas etc who supply them with the majoroty of their electrica/fuel systems said if thier parts were not good enough to be fitted aftermarket then they were not good enough to be fitted new and supply of parts would cease forthwith. Also legal action was threatened becuase Ford were claiming that parts that were supplied as OE were then not good enough to fit if not supplied by them as aftermarket parts.
So if you could dig deeper it may well that some major motor manufacturers have handed out some large wedges of folding stuff to the EU to raise this again???
I don't think they would ever force an OEM parts only rule, the EU is very much for open competition, so in the same way you now don't void your warranty by getting your vehicle serviced at a non franchise garage, I doubt they would stifle competition for after market parts - or at last I hope not.

I guess the EU proposals will be watered down considerably, lets hope any changes won't go any further than vehicles that have been heavily modified.

It does often puzzle me when I see some of the boy racers, who have drastically altered their cars with changes to suspension, brakes and engine power, and are still allowed to take them on the road without some form of road suitability test, such as the tests kit cars need to go through.
I wouldn't worry about it until it happens (if it does)
Pages: 1 2