Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Engine noise after stopping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MK2 1.6HDi

After stopping the engine there is quite a loud buzzing noise that is emitted from the top of the engine. It stops after a couple of minutes - what is it?

I'm sure it has made this noise since I got the vehicle a few months ago - I'm not sure if it has become louder or I'm becoming more intolerant!
Since no one else has ventured an opinion I thought a few of my thoughts might produce a reaction. I would guess it's either a component vibrating (no idea which one) or some pressure escaping (crankcase pressure and blocked relief valve?). To establish which one I suggest you listen to the noise until it disappears and then decide whether it stops abruptly or peters out. If the former I suggest it's a component. If the latter it sounds like gas or vaccuum. I note the diesel Berlingo has a vaccuum pump for brake assistance. Perhaps there is a split in the vac pipe to the servo. A small split might cause a wheezing sound and the brakes might still work ok. Just a few thoughts.

A further thought - if the noise is coming from the top of the engine, get yourself a stethoscope and take a listen. It's amazingly easy to pinpoint a sound.
Believe it's the fuel pump, or something similar.
Mine does it.
There was a post about it ages ago.
After a little more investigation - the noise is almost certainly coming from the Turbo, presumably a pump is running to cool the bearings??? It runs for precisely 83 seconds and then stops. The only time it does not come on, is when the engine is switched off when cold. (drive as little as a mile creates enough warmth for the "cooling pump ?" to operate)