Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Drop arm movemment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have noticed some banging when going over rough ground and suspect the drop arms, because there is some movement (see video). but there does seems to be the same amount of movement on both sides, so I expect both need replacing or I have to look some where else for the problem?

Anyone know how much movement is normal in drop arms?

(26-11-2012, 11:35 AM)max Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,
I have noticed some banging when going over rough ground and suspect the drop arms, because there is some movement (see video). but there does seems to be the same amount of movement on both sides, so I expect both need replacing or I have to look some where else for the problem?

Anyone know how much movement is normal in drop arms?

There should be zero lateral movement in that joint, ball joints should only rotate in their cup around a fixed point. Time to replace!
Great that's what I was thinking, off to the shop to get some new ones, they are only two years old! hope it was the only cause of the problem.
I have replaced mune twice in about 4 years as well.

They do knacker up quite easily especially if the rubber splits. These days with so many speed humps and pot holes they get a bit of a hammering.

That one's definitely shot. It shouldn't move like that so the ball joint has bust.
Glad it's not just me! Just got two new one's.
I can see the pain (although I hope not) I am going to have to go through to remove the old one's.
(26-11-2012, 03:25 PM)max Wrote: [ -> ]Glad it's not just me! Just got two new one's.
I can see the pain (although I hope not) I am going to have to go through to remove the old one's.

Hi Max,I see you are from Mons.This is nothing to do with your prob,but what is the long concrete trough that runs for about 5km along the south of the A16?I have passed it for the last 20 odd years& have not been able to find out what it is for.I hope you can put a nosey old bugger out of his misery.Confusedcratch: Your joints are really stuffed,but the job is not too difficult,good luck with them.
Just took the car out for a test with the new drop arms and find I quite miss the clucking sound I was use to hearing Sad

Ha ha got me for a while, yes the secrete of Mons that has been kept hidden for 20 old years is that there is an open sewer, which runs about 20 feet above ground! yes they pump it up to that hight, then it runs from Mons to a processing plant, to be seen here: http://goo.gl/LqU11 Now you wish you didn't ask... By the way Mons is capital of culture in 2015, So I expect the will be guided tours of the culture!

[Image: 1j9u2h.png]

Quote:Hi Max,I see you are from Mons.This is nothing to do with your prob,but what is the long concrete trough that runs for about 5km along the south of the A16?I have passed it for the last 20 odd years& have not been able to find out what it is for.I hope you can put a nosey old bugger out of his misery.Confusedcratch: Your joints are really stuffed,but the job is not too difficult,good luck with them.
Thanks a lot for your answer.I have never smelt anything as I pass by & so assume the Belgians are more odourless than us piquant Brits.PS I hope you were not standing in it when the photo was taken.
In fact there was a few years a business was putting some thing in the drain and you had to close the windows for the 7km while you went past, pooooooong!
I just took a picture of google street views from a bridge Wink http://goo.gl/VSFTR No wet feet here.
(27-11-2012, 07:44 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot for your answer.I have never smelt anything as I pass by & so assume the Belgians are more odourless than us piquant Brits.PS I hope you were not standing in it when the photo was taken.