Berlingo Forum

Full Version: A quick question regarding EGR valve and soot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I 'solved' my last thread and can't unsolve it to ask this question.

I took off the EGR valve today and it was quite sooty but not bad at all. My uncle (who is no expert) thinks it being a little sooty that it's running a bit rich and not burning all the fuel. The inlet manifold behind the EGR was absolutley bogging with sticky/sooty gunk. Is this normal or am I running rich?

Thanks

Jamie
With a conventional diesel there is no such thing as too rich in a " carburettor " sense, all you can have is insufficient air delivered to to the engine caused by a restrictive air filter, the fuel pump delivery is fixed.
What you describe is in essence normal though not desirable.
This is why I re route my engine breather to atmosphere / separate catch pot rather than feeding it directly back into the inlet manifold - if you are not feeding an oily / watery slime into the manifold then it will stay cleaner.
A similar notion applies to EGR blanking but that is another story.
I'm plannin to blank of EGR. Is there any way to clean inlet manifold?
Usually the gunk is so well-bonded that you need a commercial cleaning setup to remove it - maybe ask the local head reconditioners if they could run it through their solvent cleaning process. The poor man's fix is a plastic storage crate full of diesel and you stick it in there for a few days before shaking clean.
(05-05-2013, 07:26 AM)mugatea Wrote: [ -> ]I'm plannin to blank of EGR. Is there any way to clean inlet manifold?

The last one I did I used a lot of aerosol carb cleaner on it and scrape with something to get the thickest off.
(05-05-2013, 07:32 AM)addo Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the gunk is so well-bonded that you need a commercial cleaning setup to remove it - maybe ask the local head reconditioners if they could run it through their solvent cleaning process. The poor man's fix is a plastic storage crate full of diesel and you stick it in there for a few days before shaking clean.

I'm rather partial to cellulose gunwash myself.A friendly bodyshop will give you used gunwash as they have to pay to get rid of it.
Hi again!

I bought some electric cleaning spray today and gave the egr valve and maff sensor a good dose but it hasnt made any difference - just waiting for my blanking plate to arrive now.

Anyway, I noticed that on the EGR Valve there are two small rubber hoses and to just check I was putting then on right place I googled for a diagram in google and found this:

[Image: egrd.jpg]

Now in the pic above it looks like the hoses beneath the EGR valve attatch to the opposite objects of what mine attacth to, in the above photo the left hose plugs into no.5 while the right plugs into no.7 the opposite of how mine is.

Here is a pic of my engine bay with pipes:

[Image: egr1.jpg]

[Image: egr2.jpg]

So are they in wrong place and what are they connecting to anyway?

Jamie
If you look at one of my other posts you'll find that I swapped those pipes over by mistake. The car will idle but as soon as you rev it you'll get clouds of grey smoke out of the exhaust (and I really do mean big clouds). The butterfly valve will close prematurely too. You'll notice it believe me!
(08-05-2013, 09:31 AM)crickleymal Wrote: [ -> ]If you look at one of my other posts you'll find that I swapped those pipes over by mistake. The car will idle but as soon as you rev it you'll get clouds of grey smoke out of the exhaust (and I really do mean big clouds). The butterfly valve will close prematurely too. You'll notice it believe me!

well I switched hoses over and thought it seemed a little more responsive but it's kinda like I can't say for certain if it's just in my head or not. Anyway I was getting quite a few flat spots and spoke to guy who sold it to me and he thought they should go back to how they were cause of the length of each hose, it seems to be running fine without the flat spots so I'll drive it tomorrow and see how that goes.

I also got my blanking plate today but the hex bolts are rusty and look like they've been rounded a little by a previous attempt to take them off so Ive left it for the moment. I'm in seperate minds about the blanking plate, partly cause of the unspent fuel that recirculates back into the engine means that there must be a loss of mpg if you block it .
On the 2.0HDi the MPG figures are better on mine when the EGR is removed/blanked
Pages: 1 2