Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Coolant Leak Danger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi folks,

Just looking for a little advice to get me through this week. I need to drive my Mk1 1.9d over the weekend but it needs a new heater matrix.
I am planning to remove the dash and do the job properly next week when I've got a few days free. I would have started it this week but didn't want to find myself stuck without a car if I hit a problem so next week it is.
In the meantime I'm a bit concerned about coolant leaking from the matrix and destroying electricals behind the dash, especially the heater fan.
Is there anything I can do to guard against this? I have the heating controls set to cold which I would assume means that the hot coolant bypasses the matrix but not sure how this works. Is it possible to drain the matrix completely from under the bonnet by disconnecting the in/out hoses and pumping air into the matrix to force out any remaining water?
Has anyone ever done this?

Many thanks in advance
Are you able to disconnect the pipes going through the bulkhead from the engine bay and joining them together with some tubing, thereby cutting the matrix out completely? This will allow you to continue using the car until fixed.
Griff
(19-05-2013, 06:48 PM)Landmark Wrote: [ -> ]Are you able to disconnect the pipes going through the bulkhead from the engine bay and joining them together with some tubing, thereby cutting the matrix out completely? This will allow you to continue using the car until fixed.
Griff

Thanks for the reply!
Yes I had thought about that idea and it's definitely possible but if the cold setting on the heater controls bypasses the matrix already it might not be necessary.
My main concern is that there might still be coolant sitting in the matrix that will leak out onto the electrics so it would be good to drain it down somehow.
The water passes through the matrix always. It is simply the airflow that varies whether you feel the heat or not.
(20-05-2013, 12:12 AM)addo Wrote: [ -> ]The water passes through the matrix always. It is simply the airflow that varies whether you feel the heat or not.

Thanks Addo,
I wasn't sure how it worked, I assumed that the cold setting operated some kind of valve which stopped the flow to the matrix but you are saying it always flows.
Hmmm, in that case is there anyway of temporarily bypassing the matrix until I've got time to replace it? What about joining the in/out hoses together as suggested above?
I don't suppose it's worth trying Radweld is it?
Forté is well regarded. Give it a crack first, being sure to follow the instructions.

I have sawn the plastic compression collars off the hose elbows where the water feeds in/out of the scuttle area, this allows you to remove the hoses from the plastic elbows (carefully) without further damage - then a 90° brass male-male barbed fitting can be used to loop the coolant lines.
I had a slight leak on matrix and fixed it with 'K seal'.
That was 12 months ago and it's not leaked since. :thumbsup:
http://www.kseal.com/uk/
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your advice.

It's tempting to try the sealing fluids but am short of money at the moment and one bottle costs about £10 which is about half of what I can get a new matrix for so if it doesn't work I'm literally pouring money down the drain...well...radiator!

Just wondering if I can remove the heater fan unit temporarily so it doesn't sustain water damage and still drive the car without the BSI protesting.
Any thoughts on that idea?
(20-05-2013, 04:17 PM)pablo64 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your advice.

It's tempting to try the sealing fluids but am short of money at the moment and one bottle costs about £10 which is about half of what I can get a new matrix for so if it doesn't work I'm literally pouring money down the drain...well...radiator!

Just wondering if I can remove the heater fan unit temporarily so it doesn't sustain water damage and still drive the car without the BSI protesting.
Any thoughts on that idea?

URGENT!! Can anybody advise me on this please? If I pull out the heater blower to stop the leaking coolant from destroying it can I drive the car without causing any BSI problems?
Thanks for your help!
She'll be right.
Pages: 1 2