Berlingo Forum

Full Version: M.O.T failure.... Emissions :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went for the M.O.T this morning, raining hard, heat blowers on full... Lovely!! Smile

I arrived at the MOT station fairly confident It was going to go through without any problems but no..... not today. I'd bought the car as an mot failure and have been working over the last month getting it all sorted... to address the previous emissions issue I've tried an air filter change and a new exhaust as the old one was knackered, and in two pieces when I got the car.

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after second fast idle excessive [7.3.D.4]

Fast Idle test

CO - 0.49% FAIL
HC - 31 ppm PASS
Lambda - 0.99 PASS

Second fast idle test

CO 0.49% FAIL
HC 31 ppm PASS
Lambda 0.99 PASS

Natural idle test

CO 0.42 PASS

These new readings are actually HIGHER than the previous readings taken on the MOT just before I took ownership of the car, on that one it was failing at 0.43 CO on the fast idle test and second fast idle test.

I'm pretty new to all this but I think It's looking like a new cat or lambda...

how do I test the lambda sensor?
Try a good Italian tune up :thumbsup:
I would try cleaning the Lambda sensor first,as that costs nothing.
Copaslip the threads well on refitting.Confusedalut:
Try a fuel cleaner also..... remove the fuel filter and empty half the petrol out then refill with fuel cleaner and fit the filter back. Start the engine and leave to idle only for a few minutes. Put the remainder of he cleaner in the tank and go for a good fast drive.

Same applies for diesel drivers too. Works for me and advised to do so by " my " MOT man.
(24-05-2013, 06:31 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]I would try cleaning the Lambda sensor first,as that costs nothing.
Copaslip the threads well on refitting.Confusedalut:

Good Idea, I wasn't aware lambda sensors could be cleaned Smile how do I do it?

Cheers
I'd guess he's going to say a good carby cleaner; one that loosens carbon, followed by a burn with the oxy torch.

I'm more negative about the longer term benefits of cleaning them; it may get you over the line for a test but is likely to relapse within the year.
I'm booked in today for a new cat and fitted, I'd fit myself but I've done so much work on the vehicle lately that I really can't be bothered.

I'll put in a new lambda sensor too.

I just want it through now.
Good luck.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
New cat on, sailed through!! Smile
Well done that man.:woop::woop:
Pages: 1 2