Berlingo Forum

Full Version: another noise :-(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well after getting my knocking noise sorted out all was happy until today driving back from south wales. it is like a growly hum noise if that makes sense?? it increases with the speed of the van and can put the clutch in so the revs drop and the noise remains. really annoying noise and was thinking bearing noise although not wheel, possibly driveshaft bearings? could get a video if required? thanks again people Smile
If the noise increases with speed, and remains the same when you press the clutch in and the revs drop, then it doesn't sound like an engine problem (Try switching the engine off and free-wheeling in neutral (obviously only do this on your own private road)) Then if we can rule out the engine and worry about wheel bearing to gearbox.
Does the noise increase on cornering?
i dont think it is engine. will try engine off and free wheel when i get a chance and dont think it gets worse with cornering. is it a big job if it is a gearbox bearing or drive shaft bearing?
anybody got any other experience with this sort of issue. going to nip out after and get a video hopefully Smile
The description sounds like the noise my old Vauxhall Combo made when it had a worn front wheel bearing.
i really hope it is. will be a far easier job. i have had it on the jack and there is no unwanted movement so ruled it out. can a bad bearing make noise with out the other wheel bearing symptoms?
Did you try turning the wheel when you had it jacked up to see if there was any noise? It is possible to have a bad wheel bearing without any play in the wheel.
no didnt try turning it. need to spend a good couple of hours with it working it out. its not really getting used now as i have started biking to work. need to get my arse into gear and get it sorted haha. cheers for all advice given it helps alot :-)
It sounds very much like a wheel bearing going, jack it up and spin the wheel and listen for a deep rumbling from the hub.
well got my mechanic having a ganders at it tonight so may hopefully have a development
Pages: 1 2