Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Cooling fan not cutting in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have just acquired a 1.9 55 plate berlingo 600D LX and seem to have a problem with the temperature rising well above normal when driving in stop start traffic. I have checked and the cooling fan doesn't switch on under these circumstances so I think this is the cause of the problem.

I would appreciate any help with finding the location of the cooling fan switch / fuse / relays so I can try and diagnose the cause of the problem.

From reading other posts on this forum it seems that the cooling fan may be controlled by the ecu so there may not be a separate cooling fan switch. I have tried to gain access to the cooling fan but it appears that I need to remove the bumper. Is that correct ??

Any help on this would be much appreciated

Regards,

Peterh
Peterh you do not have to remove the bumper at all.
Just the plastic slam panel cover (four torx screws) rad hose pipes (radiator side) air intake pipe/box,
radiator and fan housing assembly and hey presto you now have access to your fan. Note you will also have to disconnect the fan relay connector and the fan connector if you want to take the whole lot right out of the car/van. NB if you wish to save the anti freeze, a clean washing up bowl will usually do the trick
Thanks Niquenak,

Still suffering this problem - hot weather not helping ! All I really want to do is access the fan relay and see if I can at least make the fan run manually.

Just not sure where the relay is. I don't think it is within the fan assembly so hopefully don't need to remove the rad at this stage.

I think it may be located underneath the air intake pipe - do you know ?? Also any help on the wiring diagram for the fan relay would be appreciated.

Thanks Peterh
(23-07-2013, 05:20 PM)Peterh Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Niquenak,

Still suffering this problem - hot weather not helping ! All I really want to do is access the fan relay and see if I can at least make the fan run manually.

Just not sure where the relay is. I don't think it is within the fan assembly so hopefully don't need to remove the rad at this stage.

I think it may be located underneath the air intake pipe - do you know ?? Also any help on the wiring diagram for the fan relay would be appreciated.

Thanks Peterh
Hi Peterh,
I took a couple of fan relays of a simular model to yours today at the scrappies,they were to the top left of the fan housing looking from the front of the car behind a plastic cover held by 2 screws.
My berlingo was the same the fan was not kicking in,it turned out to be those relays.One was badly rusted inside and both had bad corosion on the wiring connections,replaced relays cleaned connections now working fine.
Hope this helps solve your problem,Bob
Thanks Bob,

Are they part of the fan assembly in front of the radiator ? ie do I still need to remove the radiator, as per Niquenak's post, to gain access to the relays,

Thanks Peterh
(24-07-2013, 07:09 AM)Peterh Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Bob,

Are they part of the fan assembly in front of the radiator ? ie do I still need to remove the radiator, as per Niquenak's post, to gain access to the relays,

Thanks Peterh

The one i took the relays from i could get to from the engine bay,just take the plastic cover off the with the 2 screws on it on the top left of the housing.
I had to take the bumper off when i replaced them on mine,because the relays were on the outside between the fan housing and bumper.The bumper took about 10 mins to take off.Take the 4 screws that hold the grill on first,then the bumper screws make sure you have checked all the screws/bolts are out ,look underneath as well then the bumper just lifts off.
Bob