Berlingo Forum

Full Version: steel to alloy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We currently have 15" standard steel wheels on our 2008 Berlingo.

I was offered some (Peugeot) 16" alloys yesterday for £140 which looked okay and seemed a bit of a bargain.

The current tyres on the car do need changing before too long - currently Mich Energy Savers = rubbish in winter, and we do get wintry conditions up here in the Dales.

I was thinking of some All-Season tyres (poss Goodyear Vector 4Seasons as they have good reviews) - BUT am now tempted by buying some specific winter tyres for these wheels and also buying those alloys, with a view to having some summer rubber on next year.

Apart from the costs involved - any thoughts? Our mechanic sucked his teeth when I mentioned it yesterday, saying he's doing a lot of repairs to alloys to stop them leaking air and wouldn't recommend anything other than steel wheels.

I know it is just vanity, but ......:whistle:
"he's doing a lot of repairs to alloys to stop them leaking air and wouldn't recommend anything other than steel wheels."

That's soooooo stupid!
Are you sure they will fit?

There's not a lot of clearance in the wheel arch. My winter tyres are slightly bigger at 195/65/15 compared to 185/65/15 standard and on full lock the tyre catches the lining!!
It's a B9 Berlingo and the tyre range from new seem to be 205 and 215 widths, so I am assuming going from a 15" wheel, with a tyre width of 205mm to a 16" rim with 215mm tyres won't make any difference. I may call my insurance company first though...

Did some man-maths too...

1 - ~AllSeason tyres every two years (because that's how long the previous ones lasted us) = £332 outlay = £166/year

2 - Sep Winter / Summer tyres = outlay of £624, but should last four years = £156 /year!

Of course need to factor in the cost of the alloys at £140...

...and ignore the option of cheaper steelies / summer tyres options too... Big Grin
I've a friend who is running 215/55 without a problem on a 2012 b9. I've always considered all-year tyres a compromise in that they don't do as well as purpose built tyres. If you can weather the expense I'd go with proper winter tyres.
(07-11-2013, 09:02 AM)hebdenhedgehog Wrote: [ -> ]Our mechanic sucked his teeth when I mentioned it yesterday, saying he's doing a lot of repairs to alloys to stop them leaking air and wouldn't recommend anything other than steel wheels.

You need to find a new "mechanic".