Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Senna movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just been to see it and it was superb. Even those who aren't big motor racing fans (i.e. the wife) thought it was good. Well worth going to see while it is still on
Whilst interesting, I don't think it lived up to the hype that's surrounded it.
Its a good documentary. But its rather a Senna Love-in. It paints any criticism of Senna as though it was political and motivated by jealousy. We all know Prost was a manipulative cheat, but that doesn't mean his criticisms of Senna were invalid. Senna was no better. But it did make for a great spectacle at the time.
Schumacher had (has) the same issues as Prost, but he won 2 or 3 of his championships in a 2nd division car - I'd say that puts him in the same league as the greatest drivers, if not the greatest driver. His problem is that the other drivers he was driving against were nowhere near him. Surprising that Martin Brundle didn't get a mention or interviewed at all. In their early careers, Senna and him had loads of close battles. once in F1 though, Brundle was never in a competitive car. He was a much better driver than he's given credit for.

I'd forgotten what a terrible grand prix weekend Monza 94 was. I remember Ratzenberger's death too, but I'd forgotten all the other carnage that happened. It is amazing that there's been no deaths since, so at least the changes brought in have probably saved lives.
I agree that lots has been left out, but I can see that in order to make it appeal (and probably to get the support of his family) it ends up being rather one-sided. For all the drivers' faults and gifts, the film does at least give Sid Watkins some of the credit he deserves and shows up the political bullshit that still prevails.