Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Caravan Virgin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have just purchased a 2 berth Ace Airstream caravan. (763kg ex works)
Never owned or towed a caravan before.
Aware of the basic towing do's and dont's (I am an HGV driver), but do the experienced towing fraternity have any tips?
Also, are there any specific issues towing with a Berlingo?
Is it a good tow-car (van)?

All comments gratefully received.:thumbsup:
Hey up Martin, I've been a pikey-cum-diddicoy-cum-caravanner for probably the best part of twenty years, having progressed from tents and bog-snokelling.

Main issues are with getting the nose weight right on the caravan and positioning any luggage as close to the axle as poss.

You may find that a stabiliser would also be beneficial when towing but only a test drive will reveal that. Probably teaching granny to suck eggs here!!!

I am still awating our first trip to tow our van with the Berlingo and so far have only towed my small box trailer from home to the skip site and back so can't comment on the towing abilities.

The Berlingo did win towcar of the year award a few years back and messrs Clarkson, May and Hammond did a "spoof" on towing and caravanning. Don't know if you saw that one but it was hilarious. The heirachy at the Camping and Caravan Club and Caravan Club slated it but I thought it portrayed some of the fraternity in their own right.

There is a lot of snobbery within caravanning but I take no notice, keep my head down and enjoy.

Sod's law, we should have been away from today for a couple of weeks but the wife is not very well so we can't go..... makes a change as it is usually me who throws a wobbler at the last hurdle....
Towed my little freedom to scotland and back, using cruise control.Towed perfectly, achieved 40mpg at 60 most of way. No worries. Enjoy.
Forgot to tell you Martin, I know you don't like salad stuffs but you must eat your greens when caravanning. Grass sandwiches are obligatory but you could supplement your diet with spam slices if you so desire.

Living on the outskirts of Stoke, finding an outlet that sells clay to take with you on the journey would be advantageous....

Wrap the hedgehog in a clay jacket and cook slowly on the barbecue for a couple of hours. Break open the clay, the spines come away a treat. Feast for a king.

Roadkills are another fine source of food....

The selling of clothes-pegs door-to-door is now no longer economically viable as you can get a bag of 100 for a quid from Poundland and lucky heather and 4-leafed clover are getting scarcer by the year....
Hi Martin,

i have recently purchased a 2004 berlingo multispace 2.0 hdi and have used it twice to pull a 5 berth Elddis Wisp which is 900kg MGW and i am well chuffed to how well it does but just remember to load your caravan correctly like Andy-womble says and you should be fine, also i have never used a stabiliser before on previous vehicles but i decided to get one for the second trip with this car as i thought the rear suspension is a little soft on mine and it helped to stop the caravan bobbing up and down at the hitch.

But like you say you are an HGV driver so you should be fine its just common sense really, i am a bus driver myself and you probably hate us lol but its just a case of watching out for other idiots on road, anyway hope you have a safe trip when you use it.
Thanks guys.
You should write a cookbook, Womble.:thumbsup:
And yes, like most thing, let common sense prevail.
(28-06-2011, 07:49 AM)j90xxx Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys.
You should write a cookbook, Womble.:thumbsup:
And yes, like most thing, let common sense prevail.

A further thought, Don't eat the yellow snow.....

Bet that by now you have taken posession of your van and are planning your first trip....

Enjoy, don't forget your radio and insect repellant

Bought it. Hitched it. Towed it. AND... reversed it!
Planning where to go for a practise night or two.
I am a happy camper!:thumbsup:
(29-06-2011, 08:58 AM)j90xxx Wrote: [ -> ]Bought it. Hitched it. Towed it. AND... reversed it!
Planning where to go for a practise night or two.
I am a happy camper!:thumbsup:

Hee Hee, the black art of reversing:!::!::!::!:

Seen some right performances over the years but you should have no probs, have heard it is easier to reverse a "tikker and 40ft" than a car/caravan combo....

Enjoy, just wish we were away as we speak....

The longer the trailer, the easier it is. 40/44 footers are easy.
Caravan not too bad.
Try reversing one of those 4 foot camping trailers.
Nightmare!!!
Pages: 1 2