Berlingo Forum

Full Version: head gasket notches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi does anyone know the standard notches in a berlingo 1.9d 2006 head gasket thanks
Ooops, misread the question, and posted info for 1.6...

Here's a more correct text...

Turn your eyes to the Holy Book of Haynes, Ye of the Faith, and let it open at Chapter 2c, Section 14, verses 18 to 23, and read the holy words of Gasket Selection...

Basically, what you need to find out to select the correct gasket is to measure how much the pistons protrude from the engine block.

You must use a dial indicator and set it on the block. Zero it at the block face.
Make certain cylinder 1 an 4 is at TDC, then gently 'transfer' the dial indicator to the center of piston 1. Turn the crankshaft back and forth past TDC and note the highest reading.
Repeat on piston 4.
Turn the crankshaft 180 degrees and repeat on cylinder 2 and 3.

The highest noted number decides gasket thickness.
0.56 - 0.67mm - 1 notch
0.68 - 0.71mm - 2 notches
0.72 - 0.75mm - 3 notches
0.76 - 0.79mm - 4 notches
0.80 - 0.83mm - 5 notches.

That is he notches on the corner of the gasket.
The notches along the side is for engine capacity and ID, and should be the same as the old gasket.
When I got my head skimmed the machine shop just supplied the thickest head gasket. I queried this and they said the differences in thickness were so minute they always supply the thickest gasket. Saves a lot of messing about.
That's not messing about...

Getting a correct measurement on the 1.6 diesel, now THAT is messing about...
It would make sense to use the same notch number gasket as previously fitted but I can see why the garage plays it safe as it lessens any future chance of failure and warranty claims.
They're lazy F*cks... Can't be bothered to do a 3 minute operation...

I mean, if it was a 1.6 I could understand it as that require 2 measurements of each cylinder and both an addition and a division on the numbers for each cylinder...
So if you new gasket is not quite thick enough then file some notches out of the corner of the gasket then ???

Easy peasy, saves all that farting about with TDC and dial test indicators !!!!

Worth thinking about...
(28-04-2014, 08:28 PM)andy-womble Wrote: [ -> ]So if you new gasket is not quite thick enough then file some notches out of the corner of the gasket then ???

Easy peasy, saves all that farting about with TDC and dial test indicators !!!!

Worth thinking about...

Is that what they call thinking outside the box?
(29-04-2014, 12:55 PM)RolyG Wrote: [ -> ]Is that what they call thinking outside the box?

No you simply put a file to the piston crowns and remove a bit that way, three strokes of the file per 0.05 mm should do the trick Confusedalut:
Thanks guys for all your advise Smile