Berlingo Forum
[Warning Light] pressure cap leak???? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M49 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: [Warning Light] pressure cap leak???? (/thread-10296.html)

pressure cap leak???? - ChrisH - 25-07-2014

Hi all
I hope someone can help me, this is my first post, I am pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem,
I have just bought a 2l diesel multispace and after a couple of days it started to leak from the expansion tank pressure cap, when I rev up it's ok but when I take my foot off and the revs drop coolant pours out from the cap/over flow,
I have removed the thermostat, renewed the pressure cap, flushed the engine and radiator with no improvement,
I haven't checked the fans yet, but the car has not had time to warm up
it does it immediately after starting and loose so much coolant I have to switch off not wanting to damage anything more.
the car is x reg,140000ish miles, I don,t think its been serviced in a long while but that will change after I fix this problem
please help:brickwall:
cheers
ChrisH

RE: pressure cap leak???? - brodfather11 - 25-07-2014

Welcome ,
Your symptoms look like a cylinder head gasket, Any sign of oil in the coolant ?.
There are other reasons for the effects you describe.

When you rev up the engine the water pump forces coolant round the system , if there is an air pocket it gets compressed and when the revs are reduced it expands and forces coolant out again. Make sure the coolant system has been bled and there is no air in the heater etc., The radiator is not swelling up or the rubber hoses getting past it ?

The expansion tank has two pipes , the large bore allows water to the radiator and engine , the small bore one lets air from the cylinder head to the expansion tank , there are restrictors in some of the small bore pipe to aid warming up from cold. These restrictors can be blocked easily , make sure nothing is blocking them and where they fit is clear.

Good luck :thumbsup:

RE: pressure cap leak???? - ChrisH - 25-07-2014

thanks brodfather11
there is no sign of oil in coolent or coolant in the oil??
all pipes are in good order and radiator is clean [have already checked that]
the engine runs fine, I did vent the air out of system at least I think I got most of it out.
thanks for the heads up about the restrictors, will check on monday as i'm busy for the next three days
thanks again [my head was starting to hurt]
Cheers
ChrisH

RE: pressure cap leak???? - andy-womble - 26-07-2014

Mine (touch wood) has run perfectly now for over two years and not a drop of water lost. On holiday last week and after doing a bit of towing with caravan, started from cold next morning and red STOP light lit up together with warning bleep and low water symbol. Checked expansion cap (something I have NEVER previously done) and loose !!! Topped up coolant, good thrash around and also towed home caravan for approx 90 miles in broiling heat, eyes glued to temp gauge and seems ok (Everything crossed that now ok !!!)

RE: pressure cap leak???? - ChrisH - 28-07-2014

(25-07-2014, 10:09 AM)ChrisH Wrote:  thanks brodfather11
there is no sign of oil in coolent or coolant in the oil??
all pipes are in good order and radiator is clean [have already checked that]
the engine runs fine, I did vent the air out of system at least I think I got most of it out.
thanks for the heads up about the restrictors, will check on monday as i'm busy for the next three days
thanks again [my head was starting to hurt]
Cheers
ChrisH

(26-07-2014, 09:01 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  Mine (touch wood) has run perfectly now for over two years and not a drop of water lost. On holiday last week and after doing a bit of towing with caravan, started from cold next morning and red STOP light lit up together with warning bleep and low water symbol. Checked expansion cap (something I have NEVER previously done) and loose !!! Topped up coolant, good thrash around and also towed home caravan for approx 90 miles in broiling heat, eyes glued to temp gauge and seems ok (Everything crossed that now ok !!!)

Hi Guys
I have found that the bottom edge of the radiator is blown out the radiator is also cold when the pipes to and from it including the expansion tank are hot I can only assume that the radiator core is blocked, I have removed most of the pipes and fixings but I cannot get the bottom hose apart I have removed the circlip but it will not come apart, I have never taken a fitting of this type apart, any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
ChrisH

RE: pressure cap leak???? - Gadgetman - 29-07-2014

On mine you need to rotate the hose a few degrees before it will pull out.
(Similar to some light bulbs you have to push in, then rotate before you can pull them out)

If the seal is shot, it can be a bit of a pain...

RE: pressure cap leak???? - ChrisH - 30-07-2014

Hi Gadgetman
the bottom hose refused to come apart, ended up cutting and replacing the pipe.
this car is becoming a money pit

RE: pressure cap leak???? - G3N1U5M3 - 06-10-2020

I know it’s old but no real definitive answer, its the radiator fan switch 100%, done many of these, always the same verdict. Hope this helps anyone in future. ?