Berlingo Forum
Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective (/thread-12194.html)

Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - petet66 - 13-08-2015

Over the past few weeks the front windscreen washer on my Berlingo has become really ineffective. When pulling back on the wiper lever there are a few seconds of motor noise before the water starts to come out and when it does there is almost no pressure. After a few seconds it improves a little but not much, certainly not like it was a month ago. The pump is noisy as well. If you wait and try again then it still has a few seconds of nothing as if it has to prime the system each time. The rear washer is working fine, no extra pump noise and a good jet of water.

Are there two pumps? Where even are they? The filling tube is at the front but the pump noise comes from the back of the engine around the wheel arch.
Does it sound like I need a new pump and is it an expensive job?

I have a 2005 2.0L Diesel Berlingo with 154000 on the clock (all my miles!).

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - ron - 13-08-2015

Try flushing out the reservoir.You can fiddle a hose in if you warm it first.Push to bottom of tank & give as much pressure as poss.Keep going 'till water is clear.Then check pipes to jets & jets themselves.If this doesn't help,it's strip down time by removing the arch liner & checking pump.Good luck.PS I think it's only 1 pump.

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - Tomcat3 - 13-08-2015

Ron is correct its just one pump pushed into the washer bottle body. You need to remove the wheel and inner arch to get at it. Watch the rubber seal between pump and bottle and there is an o ring where the neck fits in the bottle to that you need to lube when you fit it back together. You could have a load of jelly like scum build up in the bottle caused by rubbish screen wash blocking the pump and pipes orit could be the pump. A pump is about a tenner and it aint a big job to do.

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - geoff - 13-08-2015

Try removing the piping from the windscreen outlet nozzles and then operating the pump, is the water coming out ok ?

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - bikergraham - 14-08-2015

(13-08-2015, 12:55 PM)petet66 Wrote:  Over the past few weeks the front windscreen washer on my Berlingo has become really ineffective. When pulling back on the wiper lever there are a few seconds of motor noise before the water starts to come out and when it does there is almost no pressure. After a few seconds it improves a little but not much, certainly not like it was a month ago. The pump is noisy as well. If you wait and try again then it still has a few seconds of nothing as if it has to prime the system each time. The rear washer is working fine, no extra pump noise and a good jet of water.

Are there two pumps? Where even are they? The filling tube is at the front but the pump noise comes from the back of the engine around the wheel arch.
Does it sound like I need a new pump and is it an expensive job?

I have a 2005 2.0L Diesel Berlingo with 154000 on the clock (all my miles!).

Had the same problem with my 02/ 1.9. but it was the rear that had no pressure.It only has one wiper washer motor that does both back and front .This is behind the offside wheel arch cover which you will have to remove,before you do this though make sure you get some spare plastic fixings as they always break ! Although the pump is factory sealed it can be stripped ,its a little fiddly but do-able, i cant remember what exactly went wrong with mine but i remember it was obvious when i took the pump apart and easy to rectify with a little patience and its been perfect ever since.Oh by the way they are very cheep to buy on ebay if your not a practical man.

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - petet66 - 26-08-2015

(13-08-2015, 04:22 PM)geoff Wrote:  Try removing the piping from the windscreen outlet nozzles and then operating the pump, is the water coming out ok ?

Not to the front washers but the back is fine. Sounds like a blockage somewhere as it's just one pump.

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - petet66 - 26-08-2015

Is there anything I can use to flush through the pump to try to clear any blockages (if it's just washer fluid build up) without having to take it all apart of damaging the system?

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - Tomcat3 - 26-08-2015

Hot water and a tube of denture cleaning tablets in the washer bottle then if the pump is working pump it through. But bear in mind the bottle could be lined with scum and its best to take the tank out and wash it. If you cant be bothered to remove the tank a short cut is remove the one screw holding the filler neck on and then put cleaner in the bottle and hot water, leave for 30 minutes then wash out with a hose pipe. Be careful of the o ring when you put the filler neck back in put soap or Vaseline on it.

RE: Front windscreen washer noisy & ineffective - geoff - 26-08-2015

Have you any compressed air ? I've used this before now to blow these lines clear unless you have good lungs of course.

If you can do this then it would be advisable to flush the tank with a hose ( in situ ).