Berlingo Forum
8 seater Berlingo?! - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: 8 seater Berlingo?! (/thread-12219.html)

Pages: 1 2

8 seater Berlingo?! - minisandfords - 17-08-2015

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508095907275?atmobcid=soc4

What's going on here then? Surely an aftermarket conversion, they don't look like Citroen seats!

Shame about the short MOT though, otherwise I would be tempted...

8 seater Berlingo?! - stumpie - 17-08-2015

lol, I'd be staying well clear of that!

Could be a 7 seater that's had a Frankenstein conversion but the welded brackets in the back suggest otherwise!

Chances are it won't pass an MOT now unless the additional seat belts have been fitted properly...

Then there's the conversation with the insurance company about modifications...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - minisandfords - 17-08-2015

Did they make any 7 seat versions then? Never seen any before.

Yes insurance and MOT would be interesting....

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - Gadgetman - 17-08-2015

It looks like a 5 seater that has had additional seats added.
It even states 5seater frther down the page...

Not only can getting an MOT be expensive as all welds must be examined unless there's papers certifying the work, but...
with 8 seats, it would class as a minibus, or more properly a microbus. What does that do for insurance and taxation?
You may also need additional classes on your driver's license...

Now, safety...
Whoever sits in the rear seats if this frankencar is rear-ended is going to need hospitalisation... or worse, a wooden overcoat.
This size car is NOT suitable for 7 seats, much less 8...
And in case of fire or whatever, resulting in a need to quickly evacuate the vehicle, the ones in the rear seat is again left behind...
This car has the normal rear hatch, not the double doors, and in case of 8 seats, there's no way to open the hatch anyway, so they must evacuate through the rear passenger doors. Even if the normal passenger row folds down easily, you need to fold it completely forward to make a speedy exit possible.
Not that it's possible to do a speedy exit when sitting on those low seats...

So, an expensive deathtrap that probably hasn't been MOT approved as seen.

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - ffrenchie - 18-08-2015

It's cheap enough at £400 just leave the extra row of seats out and there's no problem.

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - minisandfords - 18-08-2015

Yes, wasn't really thinking of getting it- at the very least garages don't sell cars with 1mnths MOT unless they know they next one is going to be costly!

I guess the newer model Berlin's are available with 7 seats?

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - ron - 18-08-2015

(18-08-2015, 05:12 PM)minisandfords Wrote:  Yes, wasn't really thinking of getting it- at the very least garages don't sell cars with 1mnths MOT unless they know they next one is going to be costly!

I guess the newer model Berlin's are available with 7 seats?
Yes they are.I believe it's part of the 'Family'pack.

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - ron - 18-08-2015

Doofer.We managed to survive our lack of H&S.My dad had a van that we all went on holiday in.It was all we knew so accepted it.

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - ffrenchie - 19-08-2015

(18-08-2015, 08:20 PM)ron Wrote:  Doofer.We managed to survive our lack of H&S.My dad had a van that we all went on holiday in.It was all we knew so accepted it.

We didn't have a car when I was a kid but a friend's dad had a bike and massive sidecar and used to take us all out in that, 4 kids crammed in with a stool in the front for one to sit on facing backwards. All the talk of rear end collisions and bursting into flames makes me wonder sometimes how some people ever risk going outside  Big Grin

RE: 8 seater Berlingo?! - Kokain - 19-08-2015

This is why I love this country. The same guys who bitch about health and safety are the same guys who push it. The amount of garbage that was spewed about MOT's and Insurance was outstanding. It's like the self policing thread really, zero difference.
"11/10 will read again" - IGN