Berlingo Forum
Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D (/thread-13115.html)

Pages: 1 2

Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Nicepix - 19-02-2016

I've had difficulty getting the old girl to start in sub zero conditions. It starts OK when the air temp' is above zero, but when below it has to turn over for up to a minute to fire and run regularly. I had some new glow plugs fitted recently to try and resolve the issue. But it is still the same.

A second and possibly related problem is that from a few months ago occasionally the van would fire up OK and then stop after about 10 seconds. It took a lot of turning to get it going again. I checked the fuel filter primer and after an overnight rest the button needs about 15 pushes to become firm. I've been priming it every morning for the last week or so just to ensure that it goes from the off and keeps running.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - geoff - 19-02-2016

If you prime the engine on a sub zero day do you still get the starting difficulties ???

If not then check the valve clearances as they progressively close up as the miles pile on causing colder weather starting issues. Checking is not difficult but the repair is a camshaft out job, do the timing belt and water pump at the same time.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Nicepix - 19-02-2016

Yes, the engine is difficult to start but keeps going when it does fire reliably.

Regards the valve timing; I've just had a new cam belt and water pump fitted. Damn!

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - geoff - 19-02-2016

Don't dive in yet as others will have ideas ..... checking is free and quick if diy.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Johny555 - 19-02-2016

(19-02-2016, 04:39 PM)Nicepix Wrote:  I've had difficulty getting the old girl to start in sub zero conditions. It starts OK when the air temp' is above zero, but when below it has to turn over for up to a minute to fire and run regularly. I had some new glow plugs fitted recently to try and resolve the issue. But it is still the same.

A second and possibly related problem is that from a few months ago occasionally the van would fire up OK and then stop after about 10 seconds. It took a lot of turning to get it going again. I checked the fuel filter primer and after an overnight rest the button needs about 15 pushes to become firm.  I've been priming it every morning for the last week or so just to ensure that it goes from the off and keeps running.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Try putting new starter motor on.I had the same prob and others have..new starter on mine bang fires first time...

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Col - 19-02-2016

(19-02-2016, 05:36 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Try putting new starter motor on.I had the same prob and others have..new starter on mine bang fires first time...
Only if that is the problem, otherwise it's an expensive guess. Symptoms would be sluggish cranking, which could also be caused by a failing battery.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Johny555 - 19-02-2016

(19-02-2016, 05:49 PM)Col Wrote:  
(19-02-2016, 05:36 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Try putting new starter motor on.I had the same prob and others have..new starter on mine bang fires first time...
Only if that is the problem, otherwise it's an expensive guess. Symptoms would be sluggish cranking, which could also be caused by a failing battery.

Just a suggestion. Worked for me and others..you would be surprised my seemed to turn over OK.but new starter fires right up..I've read people puting new glow plus.relays ect and still have the same problem. So I thought its worth a £60 gamble if it wasn't that least its got a new starter any way...

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Tomcat3 - 19-02-2016

I agree with Geoff if you have high mileage and the valves have never been done the 1.9 can be a bugger to start on cold days. More than likely the exhaust valve gap closed up.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - polar - 19-02-2016

What make glow plugs were fitted - i ask because some makes of plugs just dont get hot enough and some of the ebay ones are known not to work at all.

When i say they dont get hot enough what i mean is they will get red hot but not white hot and they take longer to heat up also.

RE: Starting and Fuel Pump problems 1.9D - Nicepix - 19-02-2016

Thanks for the suggestions regards the starting. I will try hooking the battery up to the camper next time it drops cold. Two batteries should give the starter more Ooomph. Although it doesn't sound tired and the battery will turn it over for a minute while waiting for it to fire up. But worth a try.

Anyone got any ideas about the fuel pressure dropping?