Berlingo Forum
Poor fuel economy.. again. - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Poor fuel economy.. again. (/thread-13149.html)

Pages: 1 2

Poor fuel economy.. again. - ajcommercial - 24-02-2016

Hiya All.... 1.9D, 149k miles, no aircon, done 68k miles in my hands.

It's happened again, no two tanks of Shell Diesel seem to be the same, last tank 230 miles from full to the half, this tank 150 miles ( £30 is around the half tank ), similar driving, same places, mixed roads, not over 70 mph, try never to go over 3k revs. I used to be able to get 250 miles minimum, easy 400 miles to tank, now I'm lucky to see 300. Yes the van is loaded all the time, yes it was painfully slow before I did cam belt but since timing and cam belt done the performance is more like a car.. 

I don't understand how fuel economy goes from bad to unbelievable in so few miles.. The inlet manifold is clean, EGR is clean, Timing is perfect, van goes like stink... I don't floor it, the van doesn't go any quicker if I do..

I am wondering if the fuel pump is on the way out ? I am thinking about the quantity adjuster in the fuel pump overfuelling ? Would I be correct in thinking the Quantity adjuster in a Lucas cant be adjusted ?

Tick over is high too, 980 warm. Manual says 850 warm without Aircon.

Injectors are another thought, but if it were those then the fuel economy wouldn't vary so much..

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - polar - 25-02-2016

The tick over too high could be a faulty cold start wax stat.

What is it doing to the gallon?

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - StuBeeDoo - 26-02-2016

As Polar posted, MPG figures would give a better idea than "230mls from full to half".

Could it be that your lesser figure was on winter-grade diesel? That could explain some of the discrepancy.

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - ajcommercial - 01-03-2016

Thanks for your responses..
 Sorry I didn't give MPG figures but Diesel is around £1 a litre so I didn't think it would be difficult to work out.. good is 36.7.. Bad 22mpg.. A large variant as you can see..

I have set the tick over and anti stall today so I will see if there is much of a change. Have you got any experience with doing this ?

I filled up today; 42 litres = 323 miles. gives 33.9 MPG.. Deffo low...

I also noticed the power steering pump rumbling while I was adjusting the fuel pump.. Any advice there ? I can see it is a pretty easy job.

I blanked off the EGR today too, perhaps that will help with improving the MPG..

I am worrying that either the fuel pump is on the way out or there is a problem with the injectors or the head gasket is failing...

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - polar - 01-03-2016

HI AJ,

your mpg is low at those figures - you need to start with the basics first.

Check for brakes binding
Are you getting any black smoke
Are you down on power does the turbo feel like its cutting in
Where are you buying your fuel from
Add a bottle of millers to a tank of fuel and record the mpg 4.55 litres to a uk gallon

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - ajcommercial - 03-03-2016

Polar; the van is a 1.9d = Brakes OK, No Turbo. No to black smoke. Fuel is from Shell ONLY. I checked the Wax cold start today and it works fine, cable tight when cold, lose when hot..

Fuel economy;
  I read that the valve gaps closing up is a common thing because of the service interval being so large the job doesn't get done.. And the van attitude is that 'if it starts it's OK' so I checked the valve gaps today.
  From the pulley end; 0.10, 0.40, 0.40, 0.15, 0.20, 0.45, 0.40, 0.20. As you can see the Exhaust are perfect but the first Inlet could be better but they are all within tolerances..  Do you think that these are good figures after 148k miles ? 

While I was there I replaced the fuel filter and there is about 2 dozen metal filings in the bottom of the filter box is this a sign the fuel pump is on the way out ?

Just a note about the cam box.. I bought the cam cover gaskets but found the lower one seemed to want to fit into a groove and there is no groove for it to go into thus it pops out even with using gasket glue so I had to dig out my Blue Hylomar.. There wasn't a gasket there when I took it off there was a mess of hard white jollop, the same jollop that the sump is glued on with either the cam cover has never been off or the engine has had a complete rebuild at some point.. What do you use as Gasket for your Cam covers ?

Can the quantity adjuster be altered on a Lucas fuel pump..

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - polar - 03-03-2016

No sure about the valves as i cant remember what they should be? Also which is inlet, exhaust im not clear.

The metal in the fuel filter is a sign of the fuel pump breaking up but i have seen many like that and they keep going and going so dont worry too much.

Any silicon based heat tolerant sealer will do for the cam cover.

The non turbos can be down on power and were avoided by most people however they do tend to be good on fuel if driven with care. But if you are giving some boot to try and get the performance out of it they can suffer high fuel consumption.

If you are not getting any black smoke it is a mystery to be honest as to the vastly different fuel figures?

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - ajcommercial - 03-03-2016

The valves are 0.15 Inlet and 0.30 exhaust +/- 0.07. The order is in, out, out, in, in, out, out, in.

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - geoff - 03-03-2016

The valves are fine you can forget about these ( from personal experience ) .... after 148k miles = excellent !

Use a new air and fuel filter and fill to brim from tank to tank for a true MPG reading.

The variation is rather odd ! Wouldn't worry too much though.

RE: Poor fuel economy.. again. - polar - 03-03-2016

As geoff says ^^^