Berlingo Forum
New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? (/thread-14354.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - andylobb - 03-10-2016

A question ref the new model iPod screen controls. I have read the manual, but cannot find any reference to using the radio when stopped. I know it will go into eco mode after 20mins, but often that is all that is required. I have been unable to find a way to turn the radio on without the ignition being on. Has anyone found a way round this?  Mine has stop start, which works OK, until it suddenly starts without warning while I am stopped having a coffee, startling me, lol. A simple thing but there must be a way of listening to radio whilst stopped without leaving the ignition on? Feeling a little thick not being able find the appropriate section in the manual!
Thanks in advance.

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - 3rensho - 04-10-2016

I've just got a regular radio and it only plays with the ignition on. Not a feature I'm fond of.

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - Opensauce - 04-10-2016

On mine, a 2009, if you stop engine with radio playing, radio goes off but with ignition off press volume knob & it will come on. Still goes into eco mode in about 20mins though.

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - andylobb - 04-10-2016

The problem with the new touch screens is there isnt a knob to press, unless the ignition is on. By old 2011 on had a standard radio head, but the new one just has a screen hence my question, if anyone else has sussed it out. I presently either put it in stop/start mode or turn ignition on whilst stopping for coffee. Not ideal I know. One of the down sides of modern progress I suppose.

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - ghost123uk - 05-10-2016

This is the frustrating thing about "at a distance help". I don't own a modern one (and likely never will) but if I did, this would be something I would have to sort out pronto, and being well into electrics, I could and would. But, I don't have my hands on one, so here I'm working blind.

However, I'm guessing the actual "radio" is buried away somewhere, unlike your more usual "pull it out of the dash" earlier arrangement (where this mod is easy). If this is the case then there are likely a couple of options. Assuming you have a basic multimeter (and know how to use it) and that you can find the "radio" unit, then it should be a fairly simple case of finding which wire goes "dead" when you turn the key off. Then you would cut that wire, safely insulate the "feed" side, and on the other bit (that goes to the radio), connect a wire straight to the battery, via a fuse, say 10 Amp, close to the battery end.

Another option might be to find the fuse that feeds the radio. Then find the "feed wire" that feeds that fuse, cut that and do the same. Or, if it's a standard blade fuse, one could remove the fuse, find out (with your meter) which of the two terminals the fuse "plugs into" is live (with the ignition on of course) and, using a bit of wire with a "Lucar" spade connector attached, plug it into the other terminal (which is the one that connects to the radio unit), then, connect that to a nearby permanently live feed. Note, often fuse panels have a couple of unused terminals, which may be permanently live (use you meter) and one of those could be used. Again, you should put a fuse in that new bit of wire, an "inline" type from a motor accessory shop is fine.

One point though. I understand from what I have been told (I don't and won't own a modern fully "electronic controlled" vehicle) that on such vehicles the "brain" is a sensitive thing. Like, I have heard that if you need to jump start one, you need to follow certain procedures (rather than just simply hooking up the jump leads). So, if anything I have suggested above does owt funny to your cars "brain", please don't blame me <wink> This is just one of the reasons why I prefer earlier vehicles = I understand them !! (and don't need a dealership's computer diagnostic thing to fix them !!)

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - andylobb - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 07:16 AM)ghost123uk Wrote:  This is the frustrating thing about "at a distance help". I don't own a modern one (and likely never will) but if I did, this would be something I would have to sort out pronto, and being well into electrics, I could and would. But, I don't have my hands on one, so here I'm working blind.

However, I'm guessing the actual "radio" is buried away somewhere, unlike your more usual "pull it out of the dash" earlier arrangement (where this mod is easy). If this is the case then there are likely a couple of options. Assuming you have a basic multimeter (and know how to use it) and that you can find the "radio" unit, then it should be a fairly simple case of finding which wire goes "dead" when you turn the key off. Then you would cut that wire, safely insulate the "feed" side, and on the other bit (that goes to the radio), connect a wire straight to the battery, via a fuse, say 10 Amp, close to the battery end.

Another option might be to find the fuse that feeds the radio. Then find the "feed wire" that feeds that fuse, cut that and do the same. Or, if it's a standard blade fuse, one could remove the fuse, find out (with your meter) which of the two terminals the fuse "plugs into" is live (with the ignition on of course) and, using a bit of wire with a "Lucar" spade connector attached, plug it into the other terminal (which is the one that connects to the radio unit), then, connect that to a nearby permanently live feed. Note, often fuse panels have a couple of unused terminals, which may be permanently live (use you meter) and one of those could be used. Again, you should put a fuse in that new bit of wire, an "inline" type from a motor accessory shop is fine.

One point though. I understand from what I have been told (I don't and won't own a modern fully "electronic controlled" vehicle) that on such vehicles the "brain" is a sensitive thing. Like, I have heard that if you need to jump start one, you need to follow certain procedures (rather than just simply hooking up the jump leads). So, if anything I have suggested above does owt funny to your cars "brain", please don't blame me <wink> This is just one of the reasons why I prefer earlier vehicles = I understand them !! (and don't need a dealership's computer diagnostic thing to fix them !!)
Thanks, if it was an older car,that's what I would probably do, but as its new, and under warranty, a no no! As I said have found way round it, but hoping someone may have found a better way.

(05-10-2016, 10:56 AM)doofer Wrote:  I woudn't even consider messing with the electrics of anything modern - not to that sort of degree anyway.

My view is that adding stuff is OK (as I've done lots of), messing with factory-fitted stuff is likely to cause unforeseen problems.

I understand the touchscreen-specific issue now.  That really is a pain.  Does the manual state anything?  I'd be surprised if there isn't a way of having the stereo without the ignition (even with an over-mean time limit).  Perhaps you tap it while indicating left and winding the window down or something!
I haven't found anything in the manual yet. Cars used to have an accessory position on the ignition, but that has been done away with now. 
Interestingly, my car has a lot of the new functions as fitted to the latest new Citroen, as I think it was intended as a display model with all the available gadgets fitted. Total price with all options was staggering for a Berlingo!
Before anyone comments, no I did not pay that, was lucky, got it at a very very good price, actually below the standard book price of a prereg one.

RE: New iPad type radio, how to use when stopped? - dunfillin - 05-10-2016

The basic problem with the new touchscreen radio is that you cannot turn it off - it's on all the time even if turn off the screen or mute the volume.If you try to work round the issue by providing an unswitched live feed then you'll flatten the battery.
As Doofer says there's no accessory socket on the ignition so the only way of isolating the radio is by turning the ignition off completely.
I should have thought that the battery would have stood more than 20 minutes of radoiplay with the ignition on but Citroen are presumably playing safe.

Dunfillin

(05-10-2016, 01:16 PM)dunfillin Wrote:  The basic problem with the new touchscreen radio is that you cannot turn it off - it's on all the time even if turn off the screen or mute the volume.If you try to work round the issue by providing an unswitched live feed then you'll flatten the battery.
As Doofer says there's no accessory socket on the ignition so the only way of isolating the radio is by turning the ignition off completely.
I should have thought that the battery would have stood more than 20 minutes of radoiplay with the ignition on but Citroen are presumably playing safe.

Dunfillin

Thanks. I have contacted Citroen customer care, couldn't help apart from contact dealer. I have put a request in to the tech dept by email so hopefully they will get back to me at some point.

I have been contacted by Citroen by telephone! They are obviously taking my query seriously! The impression I got was they couldn't understand it either so it has been referred back to the techies at head office. Since all models have the new touch screen system, as well as Peugeot's, it is inconceivable that all cannot operate the radio etc without the ignition being on! Watch this space, I will update when I know, hopefully it's something simple.