Berlingo Forum
Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? (/thread-1940.html)

Pages: 1 2

Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - 3rensho - 20-12-2011

Over on the German berlingo forum there is a post where the user says his brother-in-law's Fiesta (motor same HDi as Berlingo apparently) turbo went kaput because of a plugged fine filter in the oil feed line to the turbo. Does anyone know of a small (5mm) filter in the oil feed line on the HDi motors? If such a thing exists seems like it should be changed regularly. PK any experience??

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - squaddie - 20-12-2011

Its used as a last ditch filter, some engines like Landrover/jaguar have them pushed in to the block on the turbo feed. Sometimes the long service intervals we have, to make the service costs low for fleet users of those engines or cars, really isn't very helpful, as carbon in the oil, which makes diesel oil go black kills engines. Always better to over service on oil and filter changes, every six months for me its cheap enough. My thoughts from being in engine building anyone else have any thoughts ideas.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - Opensauce - 20-12-2011

Yes this is mentioned in the thread about the failed turbo. Presumably provided oil changes are carried out as service schedule there should be no problems.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - 3rensho - 20-12-2011

I missed that in the thread. Thanks both.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - 800HDI - 20-12-2011

Even guys who have followed the service intervals still have issues.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - jimbo - 20-12-2011

I think it is this marked as C

[Image: turbofilter.jpg]

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - squaddie - 21-12-2011

That's it the last filter before the turbo on the oil feed, once blocked the end is in sight for the turbo. Clean oil is the key and how often you service taking in to account your cycle and demand of usage,(RUNNING TIME, TEMP CYCLE, LIGHT/HEAVY LOAD, THE LIST GOES ON)

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - 3rensho - 21-12-2011

From that picture it looks like it is pretty easy to get to (or is that just the drawing??). If it is an easy change then me thinks it should be part of normal servicing.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - squaddie - 22-12-2011

That's your option, fleet users only have the car 3 years/ or a set mileage, so don't seen the problems later in the cars life, just the cheaper running cost, makes the car more attractive for them to run.
All you can do is change the oil more often to remove the build up of waste products in it, and stop the build up of crap carried, filters have a hard life, centrifued filters work best but are only fitted really in aircraft engines because of cost.

RE: Filter in turbocharger oil feed? - 3rensho - 22-12-2011

Never heard of a centrifuge oil filter. Does sound expensive.