Berlingo Forum
Fuel Filter Replacement - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Fuel Filter Replacement (/thread-4587.html)

Pages: 1 2

Fuel Filter Replacement - HPPM64 - 15-01-2013

New to this so please be gentle! Had my fuel filters replaced when we had the first batch of cold weather as the diesel had staretd gelling.
Followed the recommendations not to buy from supermarkets and had the additive added but now the problem seems to have returned. Should the garage have drained the fuel and filtered it when they changed the filters?

Thanks for all the suggestions - took the car for the nicely named "Italian tuneup" round a couple of junctions of the M20 and the car behaved beautifully.

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - Coco - 15-01-2013

I'm surprised that your fuel has "gelled".

Years ago, diesel used to form waxy crystals in cold weather, but I've not heard of any problems with diesel resulting from cold weather in a long time.

What exactly are the symptoms? What did the garage claim to do for you?

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - evdama - 15-01-2013

Is it actually gelling or are you just assuming/being told that it is?
Unless youve been on the chip fat, that hasnt happened outside the arctic circle since the early eighties.

The 'additive' was clearly a financial opportunity for someone so avoid that one that again.

Supermarket fuel is no different from any other.
Tank maintenance/integrity or cross contamination during refill can lead to dodgy fuel but this can happen at any fuel outlet.
In that situation the supermarket is more likely to have the corporarate dosh to fix problems quickly than a privatly owned station.

Post back with the symptoms but dont return to that dealer without wellingtons on (too much BS)!

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - Opensauce - 15-01-2013

All UK supplied winter diesel, supermarket or not has anti waxing additive that is good down to -20 I think, the coldest it has been recently is only a few deg below zero so it is not your diesel waxing. You might have dirt in your fuel tank if the problem is definitely the fuel which it might not be. Did you take it to a Citroen dealer workshop, if not I suggest you take to one.

Not yet knowing the exact symptoms, but is it, by chance, running on a peisel or detrol cocktail....

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - Ricbob123 - 15-01-2013

Not to hi jack a thread but.......

Ive got a 1.9d, I went to change my fuel filter this morning and snapped the retaining clip on the filter housing!

Anyone know where i can get another (have checked the bay, no luck) ?

also do you think its safe to drive around without it? the lid pushes on quite tight.

Thanks
Ricky

(15-01-2013, 03:10 PM)Ricbob123 Wrote:  Not to hi jack a thread but.......

Ive got a 1.9d, I went to change my fuel filter this morning and snapped the retaining clip on the filter housing!

Anyone know where i can get another (have checked the bay, no luck) ?

also do you think its safe to drive around without it? the lid pushes on quite tight.

Thanks
Ricky

Always better to start a new one.
Scrappy or dealer seems the obvious alternative
Its perfectly safe to drive around until it falls off!

Then you'll be stranded and cause accidents as bikes flip over on the spilt fuel and the rozzers will come and put you in prison and some men with tatoos will ask you to pick up soap.
Your call......

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - Ricbob123 - 15-01-2013

[/quote]

Always better to start a new one.
Scrappy or dealer seems the obvious alternative
Its perfectly safe to drive around until it falls off!

Then you'll be stranded and cause accidents as bikes flip over on the spilt fuel and the rozzers will come and put you in prison and some men with tatoos will ask you to pick up soap.
Your call......
[/quote]

You paint a vivid picture lol think i'll phone up some scrap yards
Thanks

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - HPPM64 - 15-01-2013

Thanks for all the comments - yes I took it to a main dealer. The problem was that under power the accelerator pedal juddered as though the engine was starved of fuel. They replaced the fuel filter, told us off for buying from Sainsbury's (other supermarkets are available), added some stuff to stop it gelling and told us to thrash it down the motorway once a month as the short journeys my wife was doing it weren't helping!

RE: Fuel Filter Replacement - Coco - 15-01-2013

I would have expected them to carry out a diagnostic check in the first place, in which case I would want to know what fault codes were found. From here you can make a start at diagnosing the problem.

Whether or not to buy fuel from supermarkets is another topic altogether that has been done to death here and many other places, it would be interesting if they were to put their advice in writing....

Certainly short, easy trips are best supplemented with a regular "Italian Tune Up".

If the fault has returned, then so should you - right back to the main dealer. Politely, but firmly, ask that they do what you paid them for in the first place (don't forget the codes !!)