Berlingo Forum
berlingo tailgate will not lock - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+---- Forum: Solved (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-51.html)
+---- Thread: berlingo tailgate will not lock (/thread-6098.html)

Pages: 1 2

berlingo tailgate will not lock - thosd - 02-06-2013

[attachment=1117]
Hi
I posted this problem a while ago regarding my berlingo 2003 tailgate lock fault and i ve never got round to fixing it. The tailgate will not lock.

I have recently removed the plastic internal tailgate door cover to have a look at the lock mechanism, i did a test by locking and unlocking the drivers door and i can hear the rear tailgate receiving a signal to lock/unlock so i think it may be the missing spring that was suggested last time.

Can anyone please give me some advice on repairing this problem or are there any diagrams of the tailgate lock mechanism available or even a berlingo mk2 car manual would help, i may have to buy a new complete lock, but not sure how to do this, here is a pic of the lock
I would really appreciate any advice
many thanks

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - polar - 02-06-2013

looks like a rod is missing from the barrel to the mechanism have you also sprayed everything with wd40 may be just stuck and the motor cant move it.

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - thosd - 02-06-2013

Hi, thanks for your reply,

i have not sprayed any wd40, the lock was like this when i bought the car ( fantastic car by the way, these berlingos are brilliant! ) i dont really know if anyone has tried to repair the lock, but it does seem loose inside the mechanism and like you say, something seems to be missing, but i dont have a diagram to go off. Is there a free berlingo mk2 manual available
many thanks
Thomas

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - pablo64 - 02-06-2013

If you reach inside the cavity shown, just to the left there is a white plastic vertical arm. If you push this to the left you should hear the lock mechanism clunk and lock the boot. (This is how I am currently locking my 2002 tailgate from the inside until I replace the worn out lock barrel.) If it doesn't lock it then you either need to lubricate the locking mechanism or it is damaged somewhere. Unlock by pulling the plastic arm to the right.
Polar is right, from your photo I can't see the metal linkage bar which normally attaches to the other end of the small plastic piece connected to the back end of the lock barrel.

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - thosd - 02-06-2013

Hi
many thanks for taking the time to view the photo and offer
your advice, i really appreciate it, here is another pic of the lock mechanism,
[attachment=1118]
from what you are saying it looks like a component bar should be connected to A and B, also component C is quite loose but does not activate the lock when i push it.

Many thanks
Thomas

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - pablo64 - 02-06-2013

(02-06-2013, 10:52 PM)thosd Wrote:  Hi
many thanks for taking the time to view the photo and offer
your advice, i really appreciate it, here is another pic of the lock mechanism,

from what you are saying it looks like a component bar should be connected to A and B, also component C is quite loose but does not activate the lock when i push it.

Many thanks
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm glad to help! People on this forum have been very generous with their advice to me so it's good to be able to help somebody else.

Your new picture is better and you are correctly identifying the parts that I mentioned.
You can probably make a new connecting bar for A to B from a short piece of thick, stiff wire but before you do that you must work out what the problem is with C and the locking mechanism. When you push C to the left make sure you are pushing at the top, it should travel in a slight arc because it is pivoted at the bottom.
As I said before I can easily lock my tailgate from the inside simply by pushing the top of this arm C to the left. It will resist a little and then suddenly go 'clunk' as it locks the mechanism. You should be able to operate this with the tailgate open or closed.
Just to be clear, my car does not have central locking (thank God!) so with a new barrel it will only be lockable by key at the tailgate but I think it functions in the same way mechanically speaking as yours does.
Keep trying, I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work eventually.

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - thosd - 06-06-2013

Hi Polar and Pablo

Many thanks for your kind advice
I have connected a piece of coat hanger to A and B.

I know its not very sophisticated and although the lock
does not operate with the central locking, i can now lock
and unlock it with the key so i am well happy!

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - pablo64 - 06-06-2013

Congratulations on your new locking tailgate! :woop:
It's a great feeling when you get something working again isn't it, no matter how small!

TIP: Try to only use the key to lock/unlock the tailgate when absolutely necessary as the lock barrels on these are not very good and wear out leaving you with a spinning lock barrel that doesn't operate the locking mechanism. (This is the problem with mine at the moment.)
Keep it well lubricated too, that will help.

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - Deckard - 01-07-2013

I have a similar problem with my tailgate lock....

I have subsequently stripped it down and can find no sign of a spring anywhere - should there be one?

The central locking motor doesnt lock "back" when locking - but seems to sit in the same place, effectively rending the door "unlockable".

I have removed the motor and the lock works with a key.

I cant find a part though - is this such a common failure?

Its a 2 pin Kiekert 22....any ideas where i might pick on up at a sensible price?

RE: berlingo tailgate will not lock - Chaz - 28-11-2017

(01-07-2013, 02:56 PM)Deckard Wrote:  I have a similar problem with my tailgate lock....

I have subsequently stripped it down and can find no sign of a spring anywhere - should there be one?

The central locking motor doesnt lock "back" when locking - but seems to sit in the same place, effectively rending the door "unlockable".

I have removed the motor and the lock works with a key.

I cant find a part though - is this such a common failure?

Its a 2 pin Kiekert 22....any ideas where i might pick on up at a sensible price?