Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Pressure regulating valve setting
Hi Folks,
Search has proved negative - am having to replace the broken spring on the rear brake pressure regulating valve and need to know the setting to adjust the new spring to once fitted. Is it just enough to take up the slack on the operating arm or a specific measurement?
Haynes manual says it should go into a dealer.Confusedcratch:
Cheers,
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
My van has a sticker under the bonnet giving line pressures at the rear wheel cylinders per load weight.
Hi Addo,
That's very interesting but I have no way of checking the pressure. Our is the Multispace car type so I don't have a sticker like this.
Griff
Landmark
You need to tee in a pressure gauge or knock up an adaptor line. Brazing will be adequate. I'll post the picture for reference.
Best thing to do is delete it!
(01-07-2014, 05:57 PM)Landmark Wrote:  Hi Folks,
Search has proved negative - am having to replace the broken spring on the rear brake pressure regulating valve and need to know the setting to adjust the new spring to once fitted. Is it just enough to take up the slack on the operating arm or a specific measurement?
Haynes manual says it should go into a dealer.Confusedcratch:
Cheers,
Griff

That Haynes way of saying it doesn't know either!
I have experimented with this unit on my 405 Mi16. It definitely has a purpose and works well. With the valve permanently at "full flow" in a panic braking situation the car tended to float as it skidded on all four wheels. On a normal road, with irregular surface and somewhat unpredictable camber, this greatly compounds risk to control of the vehicle. By contrast, with load sensing there was much more stable tracking of the rear.
Don't want to be without it but was wondering if there is specific length for the spring at say "unloaded with wheels on ground."
Landmark
Hi Folks,
Think I've found what I was looking for. Here's a link to the new spring.
http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/peugeot-citr...984wt_1349

And this is the setting I was after.
Firstly make sure you don't need a new valve, they usually seize out, just tap the lever arm on the little pin indentations to ensure they're free to move in and out, then replace the old spring with one of mine tighten it up leaving a little slack to allow for the extra load when you drop it back on the floor. Ideally with the wheels on the floor, it should be tightened up just finger tight, then lock it up with the locknut provided and thats it, done.

Hope this helps with anyone looking in future.
Griff
Landmark
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Landmark for this post:
  • ron
My Bertie failed the MOT last week on a broken Load sensing valve spring, so I looked on ebay for "Citroen load sensing valve spring", and there they are. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlin...33a4761859
The seller is a really decent chap, gave me all the info I needed to what he said, "set the pre-load", I did exactly what he told me, and Bertie sailed through the MOT. I can't tell you what a load it is off my mind, lol, and saved me a heap of cash.
I was quoted for a new unit by my garage, "between £300 -£400 depending on how it goes, Stuff that, I'll have a go myself, cost me £22 and lot of swearing as it is awkward to get to, and it is now better than the original.
The moral of my tale is, don't buy a new valve if you don't need one get to ebay, and save yourself a hefty packet as I did :-)
Good luck fellow Berlingoers
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bertie for this post:
  • whitebus