Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
whistling sound f
Hi peeps,
Hope all is well.
I have a wee problem with my Multispace,when i bought it in April,i knew i would need a clutch soon as it was a tad high.
About 2 weeks ago,i notice a whistling noise coming from under the bonnet,when i press on the clutch,the noise would go away.I google and the release bearing seem to be the problem.i took the car to an local mechanic and charge me £300 to install a brank new luk clutch.
The whistling disappeared for about 3 miles and came back.I took the car back to the mechanic and he assured me that he put a brand new clutch& release bearing in but would do it again there could have been a fault in the bearing.When he taken the clutch out again,he showed me that the bearing was perfect but would put another 1 in,he then show me a bearing inside the gearbox which seem to have a very little play but he told me that he doesn't know anything about gearboxes.So it put a new bearing in and the noise went away for approx 20 miles and came back.

I have google again and the water pump bearing has sprang up on some websites',could it be this? Or is it the bearing inside the gearbox.
I have no trouble at all selecting gears

any ideas please
Get the mechanic to listen with a stethescope to each part he would then be able to tell you which one it is instead of pulling out the gearbox unnecessary which will cost you. The water pump is easier to do and cost less, cross your fingers it is the WP
More than likely its your gearbox input shaft bearing that's shot.

If the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed then its not the release bearing , your mechanic should of known this , I suggest you get a new one (mechanic that is!)

Sorry to say this but the majority of multispace clutches bite a tad high, mine certainly does and its fine, currently approaching 160,000 miles and still on the original.

(02-08-2014, 10:42 PM)pitpan Wrote:  Get the mechsnic to listen with a stethescope to each part he would then be able to tell you which one it is instead of pulling out the gearbox unnecessary which will cost you. The water pump is easier to do and cost less, cross your fingers it is the WP

Isn't it worrying when you have to tell a mechanic how to fault find?
(02-08-2014, 10:45 PM)homeruk Wrote:  More than likely its your gearbox input shaft bearing that's shot.

If the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed then its not the release bearing , your mechanic should of known this , I suggest you get a new one (mechanic that is!)

Sorry to say this but the majority of multispace clutches bite a tad high, mine certainly does and its fine, currently approaching 160,000 miles and still on the original.

(02-08-2014, 10:42 PM)pitpan Wrote:  Get the mechsnic to listen with a stethescope to each part he would then be able to tell you which one it is instead of pulling out the gearbox unnecessary which will cost you. The water pump is easier to do and cost less, cross your fingers it is the WP

Isn't it worrying when you have to tell a mechanic how to fault find?

Hi Homeruk, yes it is, my bearings went in my gearbox and WP, in fact the WP broke apart inside its casing, I was lucky it did not do any damage as I kept the engine running until I got it to my mechanic friend and we changed it that day.
I'm not a mechanic but even I know that if you listen to bearings with a scope you can tell if they are on their way out, this one seems not bothered about this owners vehicle so like you say a new mechanic is the order of the day.